werthliving.com


Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 195

Thread: 2014 Shootout

  1. #21
    HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,847
    Thanks
    1,338
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 907 Posts
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: 2014 Shootout

    werthliving.com

    Quote Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
    Well David, if you're contemplating a 4K projector that's anything like that beautiful new Sony, then you will definitely need to bring along the checkbook. Last I looked, the Sony VPL-VW1000ES was retailing for around $25,000. Then there's this new short-throw projector that has that Scandavian modern design. Talk about a step-up in the price of HT! Brings back those old memories of Fujitsu Aviamo days in high-end plasma displays. If it's not too personal, how much are you willing to spend on this new 4K tech? Projectors are definitely cool, and the 4K rez fits their ability to do a 140" screen size perfectly
    Hi cajieboy,

    Yeah, that's another part of why I need to wait; the cost to get in the game is high. No way will I be able to afford that Sony (*sniffle*), but there are some other contenders in the pipeline that I want to study. What would I pay to have true theater-quality resolution on a home projector? Well, I'd say somewhere around $10k will be my likely target (just for the projector; extras are extra).

    Do I think it's worth that much money? I do. This is a matter of personal tastes, of course, but I regard the difference between 1080p and 4k as closely akin to the difference between 1080p and old SD. I've even seen the same arguments around it: people will say they don't need it until they see it. Then they see it and find they can't stop thinking about it. That was exactly how it went for me, in fact. I had no intention to go anywhere near 4k until Robert showed it to me on the Sony projector in his store. Then I just sat there all slack-jawed, stared at the screen for about ten minutes, and thought to myself, "This is gonna cost a lot of money, David."

    Still, I figure the price of a good 1080p projector was always around $10k and up anyway, so where do I really stand to lose on the investment cost by going to 4k? It's just in the nature of projectors that they're expensive. Also, shouldn't the prices come down a bit by this time next year as it gets more and more widely adopted? That's my assumption, anyway.

    Man, it is wonderful to be back at HDJ! Boy, how I have missed both this place and this hobby.

    Yours,

    David

  2. #22
    HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,683
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 482 Times in 413 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: 2014 Shootout

    Quote Originally Posted by davidjschenk View Post
    I know there's compression going on in nearly all the HD source material
    Not nearly all -- all.

    If I can't see or hear any of the compression, I'm okay with it.
    Yep.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to MDRiggs For This Useful Post:

    vinnie97 (06-29-2014)

  4. #23
    HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,683
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 482 Times in 413 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: 2014 Shootout

    Quote Originally Posted by davidjschenk View Post
    I regard the difference between 1080p and 4k as closely akin to the difference between 1080p and old SD.
    Only on a huge screen, though. Front projection is pretty much the whole game.

  5. #24
    HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,847
    Thanks
    1,338
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 907 Posts
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: 2014 Shootout

    Quote Originally Posted by MDRiggs View Post
    Only on a huge screen, though. Front projection is pretty much the whole game.
    Hi MDRiggs,

    Of course. Without a very large screen there's no point; I don't think anyone would dispute that. That's why the UHD flat panels don't interest me, actually, as I don't think 80+ inches is enough real estate to really make it pay off. But at 120+ inches, wow! It seriously makes me want to buy a fancy popcorn maker for movie night.

    I don't know about front projection, though; my thinking is much more in line with a rear projector.

    Yours,

    David

  6. #25
    HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,683
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 482 Times in 413 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: 2014 Shootout

    Umm. A lot of people seem to expect 4K to make a difference on 50-inch screens. Anyhow, 120-inch rear-projection system would be challenging -- probably easier to make a 120-inch panel.

  7. #26
    HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,847
    Thanks
    1,338
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 907 Posts
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: 2014 Shootout

    Quote Originally Posted by MDRiggs View Post
    Umm. A lot of people seem to expect 4K to make a difference on 50-inch screens.
    Well, I certainly wish them luck.

    Quote Originally Posted by MDRiggs View Post
    Anyhow, 120-inch rear-projection system would be challenging -- probably easier to make a 120-inch panel.
    Huh...do I have this wrong, perhaps? Are the regular sorts of projectors used in home theaters called "front projectors?" I guess so. Somehow, I always thought "front projector" referred to those old flat screen TVs with the projector sitting behind them--you know, with the projector in front of you. But I guess I had that reversed all these years, eh? Are those what we call "rear projector" TVs? In any case, that's not my idea; I'm after a regular projector onto a white screen on the wall. I finally have a house with the space for it in a (mostly) finished basement, so I figure it's time to start drawing up plans.

    Yours,

    David

  8. #27
    Casual HD User DrJayDub's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    174
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: 2014 Shootout

    Quote Originally Posted by davidjschenk View Post
    Well, I certainly wish them luck.


    Huh...do I have this wrong, perhaps? Are the regular sorts of projectors used in home theaters called "front projectors?" I guess so. Somehow, I always thought "front projector" referred to those old flat screen TVs with the projector sitting behind them--you know, with the projector in front of you. But I guess I had that reversed all these years, eh? Are those what we call "rear projector" TVs? In any case, that's not my idea; I'm after a regular projector onto a white screen on the wall. I finally have a house with the space for it in a (mostly) finished basement, so I figure it's time to start drawing up plans.

    Yours,

    David
    Yup you got it reversed :-)

    Front and rear correpsond to the source of the image relative to the screen, not the viewer. Rear projection are TV sets like the old DLP models with the image coming from behind the screen. Front projection is like a movie theater, projector above and/or behind the viewer throwing the image onto a movie screen.

  9. #28
    HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,847
    Thanks
    1,338
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 907 Posts
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: 2014 Shootout

    Quote Originally Posted by DrJayDub View Post
    Yup you got it reversed :-)

    Front and rear correpsond to the source of the image relative to the screen, not the viewer. Rear projection are TV sets like the old DLP models with the image coming from behind the screen. Front projection is like a movie theater, projector above and/or behind the viewer throwing the image onto a movie screen.
    A-yup. Embarrassing, ain't it? Heh--I actually had this name-reversal in my head for twelve years. Sigh...

    -David

  10. #29
    Tiger Meat!! Tiger Meat!! cajieboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Space Coast, FL
    Posts
    4,904
    Thanks
    1,758
    Thanked 771 Times in 624 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: 2014 Shootout

    Quote Originally Posted by DrJayDub View Post
    Yup you got it reversed :-)

    Front and rear correpsond to the source of the image relative to the screen, not the viewer. Rear projection are TV sets like the old DLP models with the image coming from behind the screen. Front projection is like a movie theater, projector above and/or behind the viewer throwing the image onto a movie screen.
    Not necessarily "above and/or behind the viewer". Take a look at the new Sony 4K short-throw front projectors. This piece of art sits parallel length ways to a 140+" screen almost right next to the wall. Price tag: $30,000 - $40,000. I'd keep a lookout during the next Black Friday.
    Last edited by cajieboy; 07-01-2014 at 10:55 AM.
    Faster than a speeding bullet...more powerful than a locomotive...able to leap tall buildings in a single bound...

  11. #30
    Tiger Meat!! Tiger Meat!! cajieboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Space Coast, FL
    Posts
    4,904
    Thanks
    1,758
    Thanked 771 Times in 624 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: 2014 Shootout

    Quote Originally Posted by davidjschenk View Post
    Hi cajieboy,

    Yeah, that's another part of why I need to wait; the cost to get in the game is high. No way will I be able to afford that Sony (*sniffle*), but there are some other contenders in the pipeline that I want to study. What would I pay to have true theater-quality resolution on a home projector? Well, I'd say somewhere around $10k will be my likely target (just for the projector; extras are extra).

    Do I think it's worth that much money? I do. This is a matter of personal tastes, of course, but I regard the difference between 1080p and 4k as closely akin to the difference between 1080p and old SD. I've even seen the same arguments around it: people will say they don't need it until they see it. Then they see it and find they can't stop thinking about it. That was exactly how it went for me, in fact. I had no intention to go anywhere near 4k until Robert showed it to me on the Sony projector in his store. Then I just sat there all slack-jawed, stared at the screen for about ten minutes, and thought to myself, "This is gonna cost a lot of money, David."

    Still, I figure the price of a good 1080p projector was always around $10k and up anyway, so where do I really stand to lose on the investment cost by going to 4k? It's just in the nature of projectors that they're expensive. Also, shouldn't the prices come down a bit by this time next year as it gets more and more widely adopted? That's my assumption, anyway.

    Man, it is wonderful to be back at HDJ! Boy, how I have missed both this place and this hobby.

    Yours,

    David

    I know what you mean. It's an expensive part of our AV hobby, but one that's totally worth it. Everyone I've ever spoken to that went to front projectors has never regretted it for one second. The price to play of course is why so many more enthusiasts don't join the club. Me included. Definitely on my wish list though, and who knows what happens in the not too distant future.

    A fellow I've known on another forum from the very early days of plasma tech had me sold after his daily posts on his new Panasonic Professional HDTV display. I checked it out, and saw the "looking through the window" effect that he had so carefully described. Years and plasma tech generations later, my favorite poster left the panel displays behind, and built his own HT Front Projector room,complete with special curtains, lighting and motorized screen that allows more for a dual purpose room. My forum friend's name is Rich Harkness, and he's a wealth of info on the less expensive way to build a cool HT front projector room.
    Faster than a speeding bullet...more powerful than a locomotive...able to leap tall buildings in a single bound...

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to cajieboy For This Useful Post:

    mattg3 (07-01-2014)

  13. #31
    HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,847
    Thanks
    1,338
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 907 Posts
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: 2014 Shootout

    Quote Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
    I know what you mean. It's an expensive part of our AV hobby, but one that's totally worth it. Everyone I've ever spoken to that went to front projectors has never regretted it for one second. The price to play of course is why so many more enthusiasts don't join the club. Me included. Definitely on my wish list though, and who knows what happens in the not too distant future.

    A fellow I've known on another forum from the very early days of plasma tech had me sold after his daily posts on his new Panasonic Professional HDTV display. I checked it out, and saw the "looking through the window" effect that he had so carefully described. Years and plasma tech generations later, my favorite poster left the panel displays behind, and built his own HT Front Projector room,complete with special curtains, lighting and motorized screen that allows more for a dual purpose room. My forum friend's name is Rich Harkness, and he's a wealth of info on the less expensive way to build a cool HT front projector room.
    Hi cajieboy,

    It sounds like Rich really did it right. I remember seeing Ray Coronado (RayJr) post some photos of his dual screen HT (flat panel for watching regular TV, motorized front projector screen for movies etc.), and the elegance and tidiness of that arrangement always impressed me. Setting the room up for true dual use would be fantastic. Cost is the real trick, though, that's for sure.

    I just heard that the first storm of hurricane season has arrived; Stay safe, cajieboy.

    Yours,

    David

  14. #32
    Tiger Meat!! Tiger Meat!! cajieboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Space Coast, FL
    Posts
    4,904
    Thanks
    1,758
    Thanked 771 Times in 624 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: 2014 Shootout

    Quote Originally Posted by davidjschenk View Post
    Hi cajieboy,

    It sounds like Rich really did it right. I remember seeing Ray Coronado (RayJr) post some photos of his dual screen HT (flat panel for watching regular TV, motorized front projector screen for movies etc.), and the elegance and tidiness of that arrangement always impressed me. Setting the room up for true dual use would be fantastic. Cost is the real trick, though, that's for sure.

    I just heard that the first storm of hurricane season has arrived; Stay safe, cajieboy.

    Yours,

    David
    The storm isn't causing that much of a problem on the Space Coast. Winds pick-up from time to time, occasional rain and the sun pops in & out. No big deal. I hear it's moving north toward the Carolinas.

    As for the latest lineup in displays, I'm not impressed. Like you, I feel that 4K is a waste for smaller screen sizes, and the content is lacking to say the least. Just another way to soak the consumer. I am excited about 4K for the future though, and who knows about OLED. If that new printing process gets developed properly, we may all be able to cover most any size wall similar to putting a thick wallpaper. Now THAT would be cool. I'm also a fan of 3D for certain flicks, and really like the way 3D raises the bar on the viewing experience for me. I realize that not everyone likes the effect, but personally I dig it. The 4K rez is a BIG upgrade for 3D.
    Faster than a speeding bullet...more powerful than a locomotive...able to leap tall buildings in a single bound...

  15. #33
    HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    461
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 56 Times in 44 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: 2014 Shootout

    Quote Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
    I know what you mean. It's an expensive part of our AV hobby, but one that's totally worth it. Everyone I've ever spoken to that went to front projectors has never regretted it for one second. The price to play of course is why so many more enthusiasts don't join the club. Me included. Definitely on my wish list though, and who knows what happens in the not too distant future.

    A fellow I've known on another forum from the very early days of plasma tech had me sold after his daily posts on his new Panasonic Professional HDTV display. I checked it out, and saw the "looking through the window" effect that he had so carefully described. Years and plasma tech generations later, my favorite poster left the panel displays behind, and built his own HT Front Projector room,complete with special curtains, lighting and motorized screen that allows more for a dual purpose room. My forum friend's name is Rich Harkness, and he's a wealth of info on the less expensive way to build a cool HT front projector room.
    Yes Rich Harkness and his steaming Rat theory of plasma calibrations.I still have my 12 year old plasma 433 cmx over my fireplace that I calibrated using his methods.Sorry we lost him to projectors since he had a wealth of knowledge in the wild west days of early HD technology.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to mattg3 For This Useful Post:

    cajieboy (07-01-2014)

  17. #34
    FATHER TIMELESS ImRizzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The Eastern End of Long Island NY
    Age
    74
    Posts
    30,556
    Thanks
    608
    Thanked 1,745 Times in 1,461 Posts
    Rep Power
    41

    Default Re: 2014 Shootout

    BREAKING NEWS:

    as Robert posted:
    Just this second I was able to confirm our 2014 TV Shootout date for Saturday, August 16th beginning at 6PM and Sunday, August 17th at 3PM.
    as posted today 7/4
    Last edited by ImRizzo; 07-04-2014 at 08:40 PM.
    Sent from my Fisher Price touch&talk~using ITouchmyself II
    LG OLED 55B6P ~SonyXBR929~Oppo UDP203~Denon 3311~Mirage V2 SPK-SYS w/ S10 SW~ DVP5000~Harmony1100
    Cablevision Optimum via Scientific Atlantic 8300HDDVR

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ImRizzo For This Useful Post:

    cajieboy (07-04-2014), davidjschenk (07-04-2014)

  19. #35
    Tiger Meat!! Tiger Meat!! cajieboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Space Coast, FL
    Posts
    4,904
    Thanks
    1,758
    Thanked 771 Times in 624 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: 2014 Shootout

    Quote Originally Posted by ImRizzo View Post
    BREAKING NEWS:

    Just this second I was able to confirm our 2014 TV Shootout date for Saturday, August 16th beginning at 6PM and Sunday, August 17th at 3PM.
    as posted by Robert Z
    Are they going to stream the event?
    Faster than a speeding bullet...more powerful than a locomotive...able to leap tall buildings in a single bound...

  20. #36
    HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,847
    Thanks
    1,338
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 907 Posts
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: 2014 Shootout

    Quote Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
    Are they going to stream the event?
    I'm certainly planning to try to, assuming Robert grants permission. And I don't see why he wouldn't.

    -David

  21. #37
    FATHER TIMELESS ImRizzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The Eastern End of Long Island NY
    Age
    74
    Posts
    30,556
    Thanks
    608
    Thanked 1,745 Times in 1,461 Posts
    Rep Power
    41

    Default Re: 2014 Shootout

    As always

    Quote Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
    Are they going to stream the event?
    Sent from my Fisher Price touch&talk~using ITouchmyself II
    LG OLED 55B6P ~SonyXBR929~Oppo UDP203~Denon 3311~Mirage V2 SPK-SYS w/ S10 SW~ DVP5000~Harmony1100
    Cablevision Optimum via Scientific Atlantic 8300HDDVR

  22. #38
    Tiger Meat!! Tiger Meat!! cajieboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Space Coast, FL
    Posts
    4,904
    Thanks
    1,758
    Thanked 771 Times in 624 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: 2014 Shootout

    Quote Originally Posted by davidjschenk View Post
    I'm certainly planning to try to, assuming Robert grants permission. And I don't see why he wouldn't.

    -David
    Great!! Looking forward to it. Thanks.
    Faster than a speeding bullet...more powerful than a locomotive...able to leap tall buildings in a single bound...

  23. #39
    FATHER TIMELESS ImRizzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The Eastern End of Long Island NY
    Age
    74
    Posts
    30,556
    Thanks
    608
    Thanked 1,745 Times in 1,461 Posts
    Rep Power
    41

    Default Re: 2014 Shootout

    UPDATE:

    Yes, we upgraded our Internet up/down speed to Verizon's fastest enterprise service so we can live stream the entire event without interruption.

    I don't have the channel set-up yet so the url will come later.

    -Robert
    Sent from my Fisher Price touch&talk~using ITouchmyself II
    LG OLED 55B6P ~SonyXBR929~Oppo UDP203~Denon 3311~Mirage V2 SPK-SYS w/ S10 SW~ DVP5000~Harmony1100
    Cablevision Optimum via Scientific Atlantic 8300HDDVR

  24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ImRizzo For This Useful Post:

    cajieboy (07-05-2014), davidjschenk (07-05-2014), LeKnobber (07-28-2014)

  25. #40
    Casual HD User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    96
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: 2014 Shootout


    is Robert still sponsor. looking to buy 4k tv, speakers and AV receiver

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •