werthliving.com


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

Thread: Ntruder's Halo Reach review

  1. #21
    Recreational Alcohol User Ntruder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,707
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 413 Times in 303 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    werthliving.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Disco Batman View Post
    I've never been a fan of shoot something a million times to kill it shooters. That's all it really is for me. I prefer games that bullets actually hurt. So in COD I only play online on Hardcore mode. Prior to that I've always been a big Ghost Recon fan for the realism factor. It's a gameplay dislike for me.
    As a general rule of thumb, your opinion is simply my exact opinion with a minus sign in front of it.

    I can't stand 1-hit kill shooters. Nothing more annoying than dying randomly without ever seeing your attacker. At least in Halo, when someone is attempting to kill me, I can turn around and put them down with superior aim and speed. Instead of getting rewarded for hiding and watching for movement, you must earn your kills with precision aim and skill. Its not just a game of hide and seek like Call of Duty hardcore mode is.
    Panasonic 65" VT60

  2. #22
    HDJ Platinum Club Member GLOW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The Midwest Coast
    Posts
    866
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 94 Times in 71 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    This review really makes me want to go buy a 360. I played Halo 2 for a year straight when I had an Xbox. Most fun I've ever had with online MP.

    Ntruder, have you gotten into the co-op yet?

  3. #23
    Recreational Alcohol User Ntruder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,707
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 413 Times in 303 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
    This review really makes me want to go buy a 360. I played Halo 2 for a year straight when I had an Xbox. Most fun I've ever had with online MP.

    Ntruder, have you gotten into the co-op yet?
    This game totally brings me back to the Halo 2 days. Lots of the maps are back too. Blood Gultch (Coagulation) is back, Sanctuary is back, Ascension is back, and Ivory Tower is back.

    I have played 1 game of Firefight, but no co-op. The Firefight was fun, but my rural internet connection has a pretty poor QoS rating, and synchronous online netcode generally doesn't work the greatest (games with NPC enemies instead of human enemies). There was about a 1/8 second delay from when I press the button to the action being displayed, which makes it really tough. Co-op is usually perfect if I host. But we'll see.

    I am actually really excited about co-op because they actually SCALE the difficulty, kinda like Borderlands. So no longer will co-op be a joke its so easy. It will actually be hard as fuck. I love super tough video games.
    Panasonic 65" VT60

  4. #24
    HDJ Platinum Club Member Disco Batman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,093
    Thanks
    136
    Thanked 572 Times in 430 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ntruder View Post
    As a general rule of thumb, your opinion is simply my exact opinion with a minus sign in front of it.

    I can't stand 1-hit kill shooters. Nothing more annoying than dying randomly without ever seeing your attacker. At least in Halo, when someone is attempting to kill me, I can turn around and put them down with superior aim and speed. Instead of getting rewarded for hiding and watching for movement, you must earn your kills with precision aim and skill. Its not just a game of hide and seek like Call of Duty hardcore mode is.

    And to translate my original post. I suck at it, so I don't like it.
    I own some stuff.

  5. #25
    HD, the only way to go... House72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,357
    Thanks
    208
    Thanked 385 Times in 331 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ntruder View Post
    I don't know if you play games on a PC at all, but Halo 1 and 2 PC are pretty good. They don't show their age as much as the console versions.
    The last game I played on a computer was Doom. lol So to say the least, I'm not a PC gamer, christ, I'm hardly a console gamer now that I think of.. lol I used to game all the time growing up, Had Coleco Vison, Ninetendo, sega, etc, etc.. Then bam I stopped.. It's tough to get back into games.. I think one of the reasons I like KZ2 so much was it was the first game I played online and had a blast.. Played for hours, not that most of the people I gamed with moved onto different games, I don't game as much.. I know, sad sad story.. lol

    Walking out of the room with my head down now.
    PSN= Foreniscs80..

  6. #26
    Recreational Alcohol User Ntruder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,707
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 413 Times in 303 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Disco Batman View Post
    And to translate my original post. I suck at it, so I don't like it.
    LOL! It has a learning curve, no doubt. But it also has a pretty fair matchmaking system that matches people up based on their skill, not based on what moment you entered matchmaking like Call of Duty.
    Panasonic 65" VT60

  7. #27
    Recreational Alcohol User Ntruder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,707
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 413 Times in 303 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by House72 View Post
    The last game I played on a computer was Doom. lol So to say the least, I'm not a PC gamer, christ, I'm hardly a console gamer now that I think of.. lol I used to game all the time growing up, Had Coleco Vison, Ninetendo, sega, etc, etc.. Then bam I stopped.. It's tough to get back into games.. I think one of the reasons I like KZ2 so much was it was the first game I played online and had a blast.. Played for hours, not that most of the people I gamed with moved onto different games, I don't game as much.. I know, sad sad story.. lol

    Walking out of the room with my head down now.
    That's the nice thing about Halo games is they generally last a while.
    Panasonic 65" VT60

  8. #28
    HD, the only way to go... House72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,357
    Thanks
    208
    Thanked 385 Times in 331 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ntruder View Post
    That's the nice thing about Halo games is they generally last a while.
    I can see that.. Is that because of the following, the game, both???
    PSN= Foreniscs80..

  9. #29
    Recreational Alcohol User Ntruder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,707
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 413 Times in 303 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by House72 View Post
    I can see that.. Is that because of the following, the game, both???
    Both. Halo 2 was the #1 Xbox Live game all the way until Gears of War released, and then it was a close second. Halo 3 was always up on the charts, trading off at the #1 spot with COD4, and then trading with MW2, presumably until now.
    Panasonic 65" VT60

  10. #30
    HD, the only way to go... House72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,357
    Thanks
    208
    Thanked 385 Times in 331 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Did you beat the game yet???
    PSN= Foreniscs80..

  11. #31
    Recreational Alcohol User Ntruder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,707
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 413 Times in 303 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    Panasonic 65" VT60

  12. #32
    HD, the only way to go... House72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,357
    Thanks
    208
    Thanked 385 Times in 331 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ntruder View Post
    Yup
    Took you long enough.. How was the ending???
    PSN= Foreniscs80..

  13. #33
    HDJ Platinum Club Member gadgtfreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    23,016
    Thanks
    1,628
    Thanked 3,044 Times in 2,361 Posts
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Disco Batman View Post
    And to translate my original post. I suck at it, so I don't like it.
    Im with ya there. I enjoyed CoD and games like Splinter Cell a LOT. Halo might not be the time of game for me. I enjoy strategy, with slower game play, and one shot one kill too. Sneaking around and shooting folks then they aint lookin

  14. #34
    Recreational Alcohol User Ntruder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,707
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 413 Times in 303 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by House72 View Post
    Took you long enough.. How was the ending???
    I beat the campaign on Tuesday night, before I wrote this review.

    The ending was great. (especially considering the whole fucking planet gets torched and dies) It brings the series full circle to the beginning of the original Halo. Really worked out perfect.
    Panasonic 65" VT60

  15. #35
    Recreational Alcohol User Ntruder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,707
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 413 Times in 303 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elwaylite View Post
    Im with ya there. I enjoyed CoD and games like Splinter Cell a LOT. Halo might not be the time of game for me. I enjoy strategy, with slower game play, and one shot one kill too. Sneaking around and shooting folks then they aint lookin
    I enjoy that kind of stuff in small doses, but the gameplay varies so little that it gets old fast. After a few months of playing COD4 online, it felt like every match was an exact repeat of one I'd played before.

    Lacking are the epic encounters where you pull some crazy stunt and take down 3 guys on the brink of death and walk away to continue fighting. Every battle is just a few bullets usually from a distance.
    Panasonic 65" VT60

  16. #36
    HDJ Platinum Club Member crhee8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    216
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Top Ten Halo reach kills so far

    Some of them are extremely cool. My favorite new toy is the hologram.
    TV: Panasonic 58" V10, Sylvania 26" 720p

    Gaming: Xbox 360, PS3, iPhone, DS, PSP

    XBOX Gamertag: Valorous
    PSN: Valorous

  17. #37
    Recreational Alcohol User Ntruder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,707
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 413 Times in 303 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crhee8 View Post
    Top Ten Halo reach kills so far

    Some of them are extremely cool. My favorite new toy is the hologram.
    That makes for some fun fights. I shit you not, I fought against 6 red guys last night, 4 real ones and 2 holograms all in one small area. I took down a few of them before dying myself...
    Panasonic 65" VT60

  18. #38
    HD, the only way to go... House72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,357
    Thanks
    208
    Thanked 385 Times in 331 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    I like the guy getting shot by the tank.. And the one who jumped out of the heli and got sucked up.. lol
    PSN= Foreniscs80..

  19. #39
    HDJ Platinum Club Member crhee8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    216
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    They did a great job with the holograms. I thought it would just be gimmicky with little strategic use, but it's hilarious how many people get fooled by them. My favorite is the banshee hijacking in mid air via jetpack. I hope to pull that off one day.
    TV: Panasonic 58" V10, Sylvania 26" 720p

    Gaming: Xbox 360, PS3, iPhone, DS, PSP

    XBOX Gamertag: Valorous
    PSN: Valorous

  20. #40
    Recreational Alcohol User Ntruder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,707
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 413 Times in 303 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default


    Those are actually pretty crappy for top 10 kills. Very low on the normal IGN standards. Most of the Halo 3 top 10 kills were just over the top insane. I've had some cooler ones than the ones in that video...
    Panasonic 65" VT60

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •