werthliving.com

Thread: The Wii U, Nintendo's next console (video)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,105 Posts

Arrow The Wii U, Nintendo's next console (video)

werthliving.com

Coming in 2012, Nintendo's next home console will deliver "deeper game experiences" that aim to offer "something for everyone." And it'll be called the Wii U! A variety of new controls will be made available by that crazy new controller with a 6.2-inch touchscreen embedded in it. Most importantly, you'll no longer be tied to a TV to enjoy your home consoling action -- the Wii U controller can handle your gaming session when the television is needed for other purposes, while a built-in front-facing cam will let you video chat from anywhere too.
    Speaking of HD, the fact sheet from Nintendo informs us that the Wii U can pump out 1080p video over HDMI. It'll also be compatible with component, S-video and composite cables. There'll be "internal flash memory" of unspecified quantity, which will be expandable via either an SD card or external USB HDD. IBM is, as with the original Wii, once again responsible for providing the processor inside. Four USB 2.0 slots are made available, while game media will be served up on "proprietary high-density optical discs." There's also another, worthwhile, reminder that the Wii U will play Wii games and their optical discs without a problem.

Living Room: Pioneer KRP-500M, Denon AVR-1911, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Sony PS3, Logitech Harmony One
    5.2 Definitive Technology Audio System
    (4) Definitive Technology 1000 Speakers, Definitive Technology 2000 ProCenter, (2) Definitive Technology Super Cube III
    Bedroom: Sony 46XBR2, Onkyo TX-SR705, Sony BDP-S550, Logitech Harmony H659

Thanks

I dont know about this... what is a controller going to cost.. 100-150-200 bucks.. Kids will want this stuff and I mean young ones.
    Samsung PN64D8000 and Sony Google TV's 24 & 40
    Klipsch 7.2 Ultra2 THX Speakers
    Denon A100 Powered by Sunfire TGA-7400
    Parasound Halo D3,PS3,Wii,LG580..
    MIT Shotgun S1.3 and CVT1 and Monoprice Cables

HDJ Platinum Club Member Disco Batman's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    I dont know about this... what is a controller going to cost.. 100-150-200 bucks.. Kids will want this stuff and I mean young ones.
    Yep. I agree.

Thing is they can prob take a loss on these controllers. The system itself is 6 year old tech, so they should have a super high profit margin.
    I own some stuff.

Banned
    Thanks

can you imagine haveing to buy multiple controllers--- starting to look like the 3d glasses in the begining ? !! lol

god bless
    tonyjd40

Thanks

Meh. Unimpressed. The gameplay itself will have to sell me.

Thanks

It seems to me that Nintendo is becoming more and more irrelevant in the console discussion and this doesn't help. Wii 1.5? Too bad, I always liked Mario.

Thanks

Wii's motion controlled games were its big selling point. Then a cascade of crap-ass motion games followed.

Wii U needs some killer motion controlled games. Wii U doesn't play Blu rays, DVDs, or even CDs. Pretty graphics does not make a winning console.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Franchot View Post
    Wii's motion controlled games were its big selling point. Then a cascade of crap-ass motion games followed.

Wii U needs some killer motion controlled games. Wii U doesn't play Blu rays, DVDs, or even CDs. Pretty graphics does not make a winning console.
    Not to mention what is their online strategy?
    RIP STEVEN 12/26/2013

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Batman View Post
    Yep. I agree.

Thing is they can prob take a loss on these controllers. The system itself is 6 year old tech, so they should have a super high profit margin.
    Nintendo has never been known to take loses on their systems. I doubt they start here and their tech is current. They haven't officially released it yet, but from what I've read it's better then anything 360/PS3 has to offer.
    RIP STEVEN 12/26/2013

HDJ Platinum Club Member Disco Batman's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Nintendo has never been known to take loses on their systems. I doubt they start here and their tech is current. They haven't officially released it yet, but from what I've read it's better then anything 360/PS3 has to offer.
    Nothing about those graphics scream better than PS3/360. Did you actually watch the flying bird tech demo? It looked like something on my phone.

If their tech was current it would blow PS3/360 out of the water.

If it's up to par with them it's 6 year old tech. Or a tad better, 5 year old tech.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Batman View Post
    Nothing about those graphics scream better than PS3/360. Did you actually watch the flying bird tech demo? It looked like something on my phone.

If their tech was current it would blow PS3/360 out of the water.

If it's up to par with them it's 6 year old tech. Or a tad better, 5 year old tech.
    Here some stuff I read.

Details were scarce about the IBM silicon Nintendo's new HD powerhouse was packing, but we did some digging to get a little more info. IBM tells us that within the Wii U there's a 45nm custom chip with "a lot" of embedded DRAM (shown above). It's a silicon on insulator design and packs the same processor technology found in Watson, the supercomputer that bested a couple of meatbags on Jeopardy awhile back. Unfortunately, IBM wouldn't give us the chip's clock speeds, but if it's good enough to smoke Ken Jennings on national TV, we imagine it'll do alright against its competition from Sony and Microsoft.
    The latest rumor before E3 was 1.5 gb of total RAM
    RIP STEVEN 12/26/2013

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Default Re: The Wii U, Nintendo's next console (video)

I have always been an xbox fan but have been getting burned out on the FPS genre, I bought a used Wii u and have actually started having fun playing video games again. I think it will take off again once they get mario kart, pikmin and the plumber out.

Thread Information