werthliving.com

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Outlaw Audio Model 7125 Seven Channel Amplifier Reviewed

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Outlaw Audio Model 7125 Seven Channel Amplifier Reviewed

werthliving.com

Quote Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
    I broke out he sound meter for the music and Adele and Metallica ran around 95-100db's on the songs I chose, and sounded great. That volume was close to unbearable for me during a long period of time though.
    Your RF82s require just 1 watt to produce 98 dB (each) at 1 meter (about 3 feet) from the speakers, 2 watts to produce 101 dB, and at the 7125's full output they would be pushing 119 dB, which really is unbearable. There will be a few dB of attenuation at a normal listening distance, but this is approximately offset by the fact that two speakers are operating. (A pair of speakers producing 98 dB each together generate about 101 dB, for example.)

HDJ Platinum Club Member gadgtfreek's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,043 Times in 2,360 Posts

Yeah, I used an amp calculator and found the requirements of about 51 watts for 100db at my listening position. Granted how we watch flicks, the high action scenes break 100db easily, say like a battle in transformers, but then it lowers back down in normal scenes. Listening to a concert at 100db's or more for 2 hours is a tad rough on the ears.

IMO, the Outlaw is a little more bright and crisp, or even clean, versus the Marantz inner amp. It reminds me more of the Onkyo AVR amp's, and I like that to be honest.

I know some will argue the fact, but a Denon/Marantz is less crisp/bright with these klipsch horns vs an Onkyo. Its noticeable by me, and over time I found I like the "bright" sound.

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
    Yeah, I used an amp calculator and found the requirements of about 51 watts for 100db at my listening position. Granted how we watch flicks, the high action scenes break 100db easily, say like a battle in transformers, but then it lowers back down in normal scenes. Listening to a concert at 100db's or more for 2 hours is a tad rough on the ears.
    That sounds way high -- it would require a 20-dB loss over the distance from 1 meter in front of the speakers to the listening position. Maybe (maybe) 51 watts in free-field conditions, but not in a room. (If you actually needed 51 watts to get 100 dB with your speakers, my 7125 at full throttle would barely clear 90 dB with my speakers, which is not the situation at all. It also would imply that anyone with speakers of average sensitivity, which is around 89 dB these days, would require 400 watts per channel to achieve 100 dB at the listening position.) Are you sure it wasn't 5.1 watts? That would be more plausible. Where did you find this calculator? As for action movies, the big scenes produce high output from the subwoofer and from at least three speakers, plus some contribution from the surrounds, so each individual speaker needs to produce less than in a straight two-channel situation.

IMO, the Outlaw is a little more bright and crisp, or even clean, versus the Marantz inner amp.
    That would imply a frequency-response error in at least one of the amps.
    Last edited by MDRiggs; 12-23-2013 at 06:08 PM.

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Okay, I actually figured it out precisely. Your main speakers have a sensitivity of 98 dB SPL at 1 meter for a 2.83-volt (1 watt into 8 ohms) input. Let's assume you're running them in straight stereo. With 1 watt into each speaker, you get about 101 dB at a distance where you're 1 meter (3.25 feet) from each. Let's further assume, both realistically and for convenience, that your listening position is such that you're 4 meters (13 feet) from each speaker. In an acoustic free field (e.g., outdoors away from any large objects or in an anechoic chamber), sound pressure level drops 6 dB for each doubling of distance from the sound source. So if your system were out in a field somewhere, there'd be a 12 dB loss at the listening position relative to the SPL at 1 meter. In that case, to get 101 dB at 4 meters, you'd have to feed each speaker 16 watts (power doubling to offset each 3 dB of attenuation). But you're not in a free-field environment, or anything even approximating one (such as an arena-size performance space) -- you're in a room in your home, which means you're listening in the reverberant field. The loss rate is much lower in such a situation. You can find a more expansive treatment of that circumstance at http://www.avsforum.com/t/1266518/sp...hat-did-i-miss, which includes a link to a far more detailed technical explication. Or you could put some band-limited noise on one of the speakers at a fixed level and see how the readings on an SPL meter change as you move away from it.
    Last edited by MDRiggs; 12-26-2013 at 12:21 PM.

HDJ Platinum Club Member gadgtfreek's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,043 Times in 2,360 Posts

I was able to exchange my Marantz (hated that freaking porthole) for a Denon X4000 which allowed me to get Audyssey XT32 + SubEq, which will be nice if I can get a second sub in the next few months. The Marantz styling was much nicer, but I like the full display the Denon has.

Sound is the same of course, and its working well with the Outlaw. My plan is to wait and watch 2014 to see what Preamp's come out with XT32, and maybe HDMI 2.0. For now the Denon X4000 will be more than enough.

Thanks

Sorry wrong thread
    L2W you will be missed.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread Information