werthliving.com

Thread: Emotiva XPR-5

HDJ Platinum Club Member AVJeff's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Emotiva XPR-5

werthliving.com

New amp from Emotiva the XPR-5

Holy crap. I defy anyone to find more value for your money than this amp. Almost 100lbs. Freaking monster.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AVJeff For This Useful Post:

CALIBER (07-10-2012)

Thanks

Default Re: [B]Emotiva XPR-5[/B]

NICE!! I think we had a thread about these, but shit that was like at least a year ago! I was beginning to wonder if these were ever coming out. Nice find Jeff!!

Shit 400w x 5 for $1,800 with some of the best customer service around!! You could say that is a smoking deal!!
    Magnepan, B&K, Emotiva, HSU

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CALIBER For This Useful Post:

AVJeff (07-10-2012)

Thanks

Can you fix the title. It won't let me.

Thanks

Default Re: Emotiva XPR-5

Should be good now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CALIBER For This Useful Post:

AVJeff (07-10-2012)

HDJ Platinum Club Member gadgtfreek's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,043 Times in 2,360 Posts

Damn cool looking. I guess my question would be:

Why in the bloody hell would I need 400x5?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Whiddon View Post
    Damn cool looking. I guess my question would be:

Why in the bloody hell would I need 400x5?
    Because you are going to get 5 Magnepan 20.7's thats why or did you forget?

It is one hell of a lot of power but there is no such thing thing as too much. That has been Krell's and Mcintosh's philosophy correct?

If they do an XPR-3 I will be all over that like white on rice.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by caliberconst. View Post
    NICE!! I think we had a thread about these, but shit that was like at least a year ago! I was beginning to wonder if these were ever coming out. Nice find Jeff!!

Shit 400w x 5 for $1,800 with some of the best customer service around!! You could say that is a smoking deal!!
    Honestly they could charge 2x-3x the price and everyone would would say it was a good deal. At 2k they are looking to annihilate the competition.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 2,142 Posts

Looks amazing.
    Denon AVR-X4000 * Harmony ONE
    Klipsch RF-82 II front * RC3 center * RP3 surrounds * KEF HTS1001 rear
    Rythmik Audio DS1501 CI sub
    Oppo BDP-103
    Samsung LN46B550 LCD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AVJeff View Post
    Because you are going to get 5 Magnepan 20.7's thats why or did you forget?

It is one hell of a lot of power but there is no such thing thing as too much. That has been Krell's and Mcintosh's philosophy correct?

If they do an XPR-3 I will be all over that like white on rice.
    Forgot the maggies need a ton of power. I like my Klipsch , so the 100x5 models are OK with me

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Think of it this way Guy's and Gals if you had two cars going down the freeway at 80 MPH. One was a Ferrari and one was a Volkswagen the Ferrari would be running at an Idle (nice and cool) where as the Volkswagen would be busting a nut and overheating . Also think of your volume control as a distortion knob...the more you turn it up the more distortion you would be adding to your listening area. If you only have to turn it two or three clicks and it's running cool then your getting the best of both worlds.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Midnightrider For This Useful Post:

CALIBER (07-24-2012)

Thanks

For real power-brokers, Emotiva let loose the XPR-5, a five-channel amp for bigger theater rooms and people who want to really move some air with their speakers. The XPR-5 is built like a safe with solid-billet aluminum, but includes 60 dual-color LEDs and a smoked polycarbonate window for a sophisticated look.

For power it offers 400 Watts per channel (all channels driven) into 8 ohms (600 watts into 4 ohms) with five high-efficiency Class AB power amplifier modules powered by a 3.3 kVA Optimized Class H toroidal power supply. All of the internal electronics are controlled, monitored, and protected by an ARM-7 microprocessor with a custom operating system.
    http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...io_amplifiers/

Thanks

I did an audition of an Outlaw M220 (200 WPC) my Revel Salons.

I was truely impressed by these little amps.
    I think the high-end *might* be a little too rolled off, but they drove my Revels Bass line with authority.

My friend brought over his Focal Bookshelf speakers to audition in my room and equipment.
    H has the same source component but has a Denon Preamp (that expensive beast, but I do not know the model number).

I asked him which amp he would like to connect my Sunfire 7400 or the M2200's.
    He picked the M2200's.
    I don't know the model but he as a 100+ lbs Denon amp at home.
    What's that tell you

I blew my budget on house money pit stuff.

But, now I want a new amp. I have to stay in the 2K range and I do not listen to music over 90 DB very often.

So the budget choices apear to to be:
    1. Outlaw 7700 – Bi-amping my Salons. I like this amp because I have heard outlaws before and always liked the sound. It is fully balanced, uses 12 devices per channel, and has good damping and slew rates. The downside: there are some reports of amplifier hum.
    2. Emotiva XPA-2 and XPA-3 – I like the XPA-2 because of its excellent reviews, 12 output devices, and damping factor. I have not idea what the slew rate is of these amplifiers.
    3. Emotiva XPR-5 – I like this amp because of its power looks but I have no idea how it sounds since there are no professional reviews. When Audioholics compared the previous generation rail switching amp, I think the XPA-2 came out on top

I am lookoing for the sweetest, accurate sound possible.
    I have some experience with Outlaw so I know that is a good safe choice.
    In the Emotiva, world, I do know if for two channel at modest volumes of the XPA-2 is better sounding than the XPA-5 because it does not rail shift?

- Rich

Thanks

If you wanna go with the XPR you are going to have fill some requirments first.

This is from Emotiva's site.
    P
    ower Requirements: 115 VAC or 230 VAC +/- 10% @ 50 / 60 Hz (user selectable).
    The XPR-5 requires a 20 Amp circuit and standard IEC 20 Amp outlet (which is different than a 15 Amp outlet).If you don’t have a proper circuit and outlet, we recommend you have one installed by a qualified electrician.We recommend that the XPR-5 be plugged into its own dedicated 20 Amp circuit.
    If you do have or don't mind making that happen then the XPR would be a good choice. Thing is you are already comfortable with Outlaw, so going the route of the XPR is taking a bit of a risk, however doesn't Emotiva still offer an in home trial?? If so I would recommend trying one out. I mean there is no such thing as too much head room IMO. You just wont find that kind of power in many amps period, let alone at that price point.

Thanks

Yes, they do offer it. But I will confirm after figuring out how much the return costs.
    My back has been in better shape

I was also thinking of contacting outlaw on Monday.
    I might just go pick on up.
    They are about an hour from my house.

I have some opinions about excessive sibilance from their XPA-3 but that is not their best product.
    What Amps do you have driving your Magnepan's?

- Rich

Thanks

I have a B&K AV5000 right now. 185w at 4 ohm. Thing is it only has like one output device per channel, and I would like something that has 300+ watts. I want a new amp, but cannot make up my mind as to which, or if I would be better off with a new pre/pro rather than an amp??? IDK been driving me nut's lately!!

Thanks

Great question.
    I am here because I bought a Marantz AV8801 Preamp.
    It is a very nice product but like the Onkyo before it, it has unusual behaviors.

For example, using the Oppo BDP-105 7.1 outputs the sound started out as very bright.
    Tons of sibilance. Playing aroung with the settings (that are per input), I found that turning off Lip-Sync, Video Conversion, and setting it to Game Mode (Yep, I mean it), toned it down an it sounds really good.
    About the same as the 105 connected directly to my Sunfire 7400 Amp (400 WPC).

But after I heard the Outlaw M2200, I found that I liked the sound very much and the bass was better controlled.
    And the highs were less grating. I still feel perhaps a bit too much was rolled off.

I am leaning toward the Outlaw 7700 bi-amping my mains.
    This will add a little more power since the upper end doesn't draw much, but it will stop any clipping from affecting the highs.

Of course, if the XPR is great, then there is no need to bi-amp since it is a beast.

- Rich

Thanks

I found a used Outlaw 7500 on AVS and bought it.
    It sounds fantastic. But not at first.

First I plugged it Into my Panamax Power Conditioners high-current outlet. Just like my Sunfire 7400.
    I thought it sounded a bit harsh and very similar to the Sunfire.

The next morning I plugged it into my Killowatt for some extended listening.
    The amp lacked life and was dull.

Next, I plugged into my 20 Amp circuit. Voilà. It is detailed and sounds excellent.
    Oh sh*t. Now, I wonder how the Sunfire sounds if I plug it into the wall.

Next Problem Amp Hum
    I had a lot of hum; Some from the conditioner but mostly from the amp.
    I unplugged the conditioner from the wall and the amp hum was gone.
    I ended up plugging the Amp and Preamp into the 20 amp circuit and conditioner and other stuff into the other 15 amp circuit.

I really like the OUtlaw.

- Rich

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    I have some opinions about excessive sibilance from their XPA-3 but that is not their best product.
    What Amps do you have driving your Magnepan's?

- Rich
    So do I and my opinion is it is a none issue as with any well designed amp operating within its limits. I think your issue lies elsewhere. I have been loving mine with my MG 1.6QR's for months now. If the amp had an issue with sibilance, the maggies would darn sure expose it. I am not trying to bust your balls, but in reading over some of your listening test comments I find your results are a little hard to take seriously. Hardly controlled tests by any stretch of the imagination. If your power conditioner truly was causing a sound degradation as you state then it would have to have one serious design flaw. With the American power grid and modern amp design they are not needed anyway. again not trying to be a ball buster; just saying.

Enjoy the outlaw it is a nice amp, but so is the sunfire.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AVJeff View Post
    So do I and my opinion is it is a none issue as with any well designed amp operating within its limits. I think your issue lies elsewhere. I have been loving mine with my MG 1.6QR's for months now. If the amp had an issue with sibilance, the maggies would darn sure expose it. I am not trying to bust your balls, but in reading over some of your listening test comments I find your results are a little hard to take seriously. Hardly controlled tests by any stretch of the imagination. If your power conditioner truly was causing a sound degradation as you state then it would have to have one serious design flaw. With the American power grid and modern amp design they are not needed anyway. again not trying to be a ball buster; just saying.

Enjoy the outlaw it is a nice amp, but so is the Sunfire.
    Actually, it did lie elsewhere.
    I do not know if the Panamax is broken or what but it is humming plugged into a different circuit.
    When I plug it into the same circuit as the Sunfire (Sunfire plugged directly into the wall), they both hum.
    This is easily heard from my sitting position.

I did not mean to say the XPA-3 suffered from sibilance, I meant to say I read some posts alluding to that.
    When I plugged the Sunfire directly into the wall, it improved immensely.
    I did some A/B tests comparting the Outlaw to the Sunfire (Sunfire up 6 DB because of the volume differences on the XLR).
    The bass was very similar but I still felt the Outlaw's was a bit more dynamic and open in the upper end.

So I decided to keep the Outlaw and sell the Sunfire.

- Rich

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post

I did some A/B tests comparting the Outlaw to the Sunfire (Sunfire up 6 DB because of the volume differences on the XLR).
    The bass was very similar but I still felt the Outlaw's was a bit more dynamic and open in the upper end.

So I decided to keep the Outlaw and sell the Sunfire.
    Interesting; Well you have a good amp now. Throw that damn Panamax into the trash and be rid of the snake oil.

Thread Information