werthliving.com

Thread: Emotiva umc-200

Thanks

Default Emotiva umc-200

werthliving.com

Big Dan from Emotiva has announced a release of the UMC-200, he says "It is an audiophile caliber unit, and a worthy replacement for the UMC-1". There is not allot of info on it at the moment, but with the release of Outlaws new 975 it appears that the battle of the sub 1K pre/pro's is heating up!

Available for purchase 11/21

Retail: $699.00

Holiday sale price: $599.00

With upgrade certificate $419.40

Features

· Dual Cirrus® 32-bit dual-core floating-point DSPs .
    · Decoding support for Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Pro Logic IIz, DTS, DTS ES,DTS HD, DTS HD Master Audio, DTS Neo:6, SPDIF, PCM 8 channel (note: some audio formats are only supported via HDMI)
    · Comprehensive control via OSD (on screen display).
    · Advanced Emo-Q Gen2™ automatic multi-channel room correction and loudspeaker setup.
    · Flexible quad bass management.
    · Eleven user-programmable parametric equalizers (per channel).
    · Selectable 12db or 24db per octave high pass and low pass crossover filters.
    · 4 stereo analog audio inputs.
    · 2 Toslink and 2 Coax digital audio inputs.
    · 7.1 channel pure analog direct input.
    · Bluetooth 3.0 support (full CD quality with apt-X)
    · Supports two extra zones (besides main zone).
    · Balanced and unbalanced subwoofer output.
    · 4 HDMI 1.4 video inputs and one HDMI 1.4 output.
    · Full HDMI 1.4 support, including 3D, CEC, and ARC.
    · Responsive video switching via an AD 7623 transceiver/switch with Xpressview™ switching.
    · Video-On-Standby.
    · Last selected video and last selected input memory features.

Here is a LINK to the Emo boards if you want to read some more!
    Magnepan, B&K, Emotiva, HSU

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CALIBER For This Useful Post:

Barney_DaPurple1 (11-19-2012), RichB (01-01-2013)

Thanks

Default Re: Emotiva umc-200

Look's like it is up on the main site, as of just a few minutes ago. LINK Also after reading a bit more it like there may be a UMC-500 being released!! Lots of good things coming from Emotiva as of late!!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CALIBER For This Useful Post:

AVJeff (11-20-2012), GOS (11-19-2012)

Official Boomoo Reviewer Barney_DaPurple1's Avatar
    Thanks

Like Shania Obama said, "That Don't Impress Me Much."

No DTS Neo: X, no 4k2k pass-through, no deal!

Sharp 80" Class AQUOS Quattron LED Smart 3D TV (LC-80LE844U)
    Onkyo 805 Receiver
    Paradigm Reference SA-35 v.3 (inwall L+R)
    Paradigm Reference Studio Esprit C v.4 (onwall Center)
    Paradigm Cinema 90 v.3 (Surrounds)
    OmniMount RE42 Fully Enclosed Rack System
    Logitech Harmony 1100 with RF Wireless Extender
    OPPO BDP-93
    OPPO BDP-80
    Sony PS3
    Panasonic DMP-BDT300
    Samsung BD-P1400 (POS)
    Toshiba A-35
    Outlaw Audio LFM-1
    Monster Power Center 1600

Panasonic TC-P58VT25 (broken )

Thanks

Yeah some cant afford a pre pro that offer all that and some don't need a pre-pro with all that and to expect that at this price point is a little unreasonable if you ask me. For some one like me who doesn't give a shit about 4k or DTS Neo X and is on a budget something like this is right up my alley.

Now their top tier pre-pro the XMC-1 does offer 4k capability, but I am not sure about DTS Neo X. I hear they are going to be releasing a UMC-500 also but only time will tell whether or not those options will be available with it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CALIBER For This Useful Post:

Barney_DaPurple1 (11-19-2012)

Thanks

With all the new receivers out today, you can pick one up for a couple of hundreds that does 4KP-T . Most 9.2 AVR will be Neo: X capable. Of course you just add a external 2-channel amp for 11.2/Neo:X. I'm personally waiting on the Mother of all receivers price to come down.

It will do everything you desire... except massage your lower groin area.

Onkyo 805 Receiver
    OPPO BDP-93
    OPPO BDP-80
    Sony PS3
    Panasonic DMP-BDT300
    Samsung BD-P1400 (POS)
    Toshiba A-35
    Outlaw Audio LFM-1

Thanks

Yeah the will but they also don't have near the Eq capabilities or SQ not to mention at that price range they do not offer pre-outs for an external amp.

Thanks

You kidding me. The 4311 has it.

Man, what you talking about.

"Main Zone Pre-Amp Outputs 11.2 "

Read and weep, buddy!

Onkyo 805 Receiver
    OPPO BDP-93
    OPPO BDP-80
    Sony PS3
    Panasonic DMP-BDT300
    Samsung BD-P1400 (POS)
    Toshiba A-35
    Outlaw Audio LFM-1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barney_DaPurple1 View Post
    You kidding me. The 4311 has it.

Man, what you talking about.

"Main Zone Pre-Amp Outputs 11.2 "

Read and weep, buddy!
    No bro, I was talking about entry level AVR's in the couple hundred dollar range that you were referring to! My bad I should have clarified better.

No I know that Denon has pre-outs with out even reading the specs.

Thanks

I was getting ready to say!

It doesn't make sense for the entry one since the amp is already built-in... I know that you know that.

If you want pre-outs, the cheap Pioneers have them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most Emotiva members use the cheap Pio receiver+Emotiva Amp combo anyway.

Onkyo 805 Receiver
    OPPO BDP-93
    OPPO BDP-80
    Sony PS3
    Panasonic DMP-BDT300
    Samsung BD-P1400 (POS)
    Toshiba A-35
    Outlaw Audio LFM-1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barney_DaPurple1 View Post
    I was getting ready to say!

It doesn't make sense for the entry one since the amp is already built-in... I know that you know that.

If you want pre-outs, the cheap Pioneers have them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most Emotiva members use the cheap Pio receiver+Emotiva Amp combo anyway.

I am not to sure, I know on the Emo boards there are allot of happy UMC-1 users. The ones that stuck in for years till they got the problems fixed are all happy now. I bought a refurb that was all fixed up about 9 months ago and couldn't be happier. Their new lineup looks very promising!!

Really depends on what you are looking for, I have found that less is more as far as AVR's or processor's go, I have an external satellite radio and all the streaming services one could want built into my BD players, I don't feel the need for them to be built into my AVR. Give me some eq capabilities in my processor and a nice solid state amp with lots of reserve and I am a happy camper!! I could care less about 9.2 or 11.2, I had a 9.1 setup and found it is pointless with out the content to back it up. But that is just me, different strokes for different folks!!

HDJ Platinum Club Member AVJeff's Avatar
    Thanks

One important fact to remember about using receivers as pre/pro's. Not all receivers drive enough voltage out the pre-outs to drive a variety of amps on the market. Onkyo does and so does or did Yamaha. Can't find the spec on Denon which is why I didn't choose them and same with Anthem; I couldn't find an answer. You need to be able to have at least 4 volts out of the pre outs or it is not really designed to be a pre-amp. Lot's of receivers are only 2volts max and that is a big issue.
    Last edited by AVJeff; 11-20-2012 at 04:24 PM.

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Pretty much every power amplifier on the market requires somewhere between 1 and 2 volts for full output (just looked up an Anthem amp at random and found 1.5V sensitivity). You shouldn't really need 4 volts, although I'll grant that 2 volts is cutting it kinda close.

Thanks

This is taken from an old audioholics review but I hold on to this because I have tried several receivers in the past that clipped on their pre outs and it was very noticeable and they were rated at 2v max. One was a Denon. You are correct in saying that 2v should be enough but if it maxes out at 2v then where does it start to clip, and introduce harmonic distortion? I would not trust any receiver that only states 2v max on it's outputs. Not with my money.

"We tested the preamp section of the Yamaha RX-V2600 and were able to drive over 4V RMS. This is a welcome change for Yamaha as prior models such as the RX-V2400 and RX-V2500 weren't even able to achieve 2V RMS unclipped. Max input voltage before clipping was a whopping 4.550Vrms. This means you can pretty much drive any power amp on the market to full power, without the Yamaha preamp section adding any unwanted harmonic distortion."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to AVJeff For This Useful Post:

CALIBER (11-21-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by caliberconst. View Post
    I am not to sure, I know on the Emo boards there are allot of happy UMC-1 users. The ones that stuck in for years till they got the problems fixed are all happy now. I bought a refurb that was all fixed up about 9 months ago and couldn't be happier. Their new lineup looks very promising!!

Really depends on what you are looking for, I have found that less is more as far as AVR's or processor's go, I have an external satellite radio and all the streaming services one could want built into my BD players, I don't feel the need for them to be built into my AVR. Give me some eq capabilities in my processor and a nice solid state amp with lots of reserve and I am a happy camper!! I could care less about 9.2 or 11.2, I had a 9.1 setup and found it is pointless with out the content to back it up. But that is just me, different strokes for different folks!!
    That's true, surrounds mostly depends on your setup preferences. For me it's the opposite, a must almost. I used to have a 7.2 setup and was proud of the surround sound in Blu-rays such as Tron Legacy, Prometheus, Battleship, certain scenes of Ghost Protocal, etc. We do watch a lot of movies, but not just movies when surrounds are noticeable. Any given Sunday NFL games, if you can't hear the surrounds of the crowd around you clapping and cheering, or someone behind you yelling, "Sit the Fook down!" then you must be running stereo.

My Paradigms fronts are exceptional when listening to music. I can listen to them all day and be in complete audio bliss, but boy do I miss my surrounds for movies!

Another factor that is bothering me is trying to keep up with standards. When 3DTV's first came out, everyone including me said well it's not gonna take off so don't worry about some HDMI 1.4a bs. That's good and all. Now I'm on my 2nd 3DTV and I can't send the 3D video through my old Onkyo HDMI 1.3b receiver. All 4 HDMI ports are used on the 3DTV for video while all 3 input ports of the receiver is used mainly for audio coming from the same device. The solution is quite clear here. Get a HDMI 1.4a receiver!

Now to the present. If I was in the market to get a receiver or pre/pro, I would probably get a) a basic HDMI 1.4a receiver because that 4K/Neo XYZ bull is not gonna take off OR b) get an advanced 4KP-T/Neo:X receiver to CYA and futureproof your system on something that's inevitable (not whether it's coming, but when) so you don't get burned like the last time. For me, the decision is easy. True-dat, different rhythmic strokes for different types of oppa gangnam style cowgirls!

Onkyo 805 Receiver
    OPPO BDP-93
    OPPO BDP-80
    Sony PS3
    Panasonic DMP-BDT300
    Samsung BD-P1400 (POS)
    Toshiba A-35
    Outlaw Audio LFM-1

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Barney_DaPurple1 For This Useful Post:

CALIBER (11-21-2012)

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AVJeff View Post
    This is taken from an old audioholics review but I hold on to this because I have tried several receivers in the past that clipped on their pre outs and it was very noticeable and they were rated at 2v max. One was a Denon. You are correct in saying that 2v should be enough but if it maxes out at 2v then where does it start to clip, and introduce harmonic distortion?
    The clipping voltage would be 2 volts -- clipping is what happens when you max out. Should be clean below that. I agree that it's nice to have some margin, though.

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130113_195309.1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	6842I am very pleased so far with my UMC-200. The biggest surprise has been how good music sounds. SACDs and dvdaudio discs sound very nice and bluray movies sound great. I am using the 7.1 analog inputs of the UMC-200 along with my Oppo 93 and I like the sound better than my old UMC-1. I am also using the xlr balanced sub output going to a SVS PB12-plus and the bass is quite accurate. For video, I have the oppo connected directly to my tv. I tried out the new EmoQ2 and I ran it 3 times. Levels, crossovers and distance were ok but I just did not like the results with the way it sounded for movies on bluray. I ended up just sticking to my manual calibration with my AIX disc.

Overall, I really like the sound of the UMC-200. It is a great value for me even though EmoQ has not worked for my setup and but I know a lot of people are pleased with the new EmoQ in their particular systems. I certainly recommend the UMC-200.
    Paradigm Ref. 20's-frt
    Paradigm Ref. 20's-side sur
    Paradigm Ref. Studio CC
    Paradigm Mini Monitors-bk sur
    Oppo BDP-105
    Emotiva UMC-200
    Emotiva XPA-5
    Emotiva XPA-200
    Power Sound Audio-dual XV15s
    Panasonic TC-P65ST60
    DH Labs T14 speaker cables and BL-1 interconnects
    Furman PST-8D power station

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mdanderson View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130113_195309.1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	6842I am very pleased so far with my UMC-200. The biggest surprise has been how good music sounds. SACDs and dvdaudio discs sound very nice and bluray movies sound great. I am using the 7.1 analog inputs of the UMC-200 along with my Oppo 93 and I like the sound better than my old UMC-1. I am also using the xlr balanced sub output going to a SVS PB12-plus and the bass is quite accurate. For video, I have the oppo connected directly to my tv. I tried out the new EmoQ2 and I ran it 3 times. Levels, crossovers and distance were ok but I just did not like the results with the way it sounded for movies on bluray. I ended up just sticking to my manual calibration with my AIX disc.

Overall, I really like the sound of the UMC-200. It is a great value for me even though EmoQ has not worked for my setup and but I know a lot of people are pleased with the new EmoQ in their particular systems. I certainly recommend the UMC-200.
    Cool glad to hear you like it!! I haven't found to many hands on opinions from users. I was thinking of getting the 200 to upgrade from the umc-1. Now I am kinda torn, between the umc-200 and the Onkyo 709.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to CALIBER For This Useful Post:

mdanderson (01-24-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by caliberconst. View Post
    Cool glad to hear you like it!! I haven't found to many hands on opinions from users. I was thinking of getting the 200 to upgrade from the umc-1. Now I am kinda torn, between the umc-200 and the Onkyo 709.
    Well you know where I stand and I would read this too.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/p...-a-v-processor

Official HDJ Industry Insider AndrewRobinsonOnline's Avatar
    Thanks

I happened to review this product not too long ago (I still use it as a budget reference). Here is an excerpt from my review from Home Theater Review.

In my ten-plus years of writing reviews no brand, ever, has been more polarizing than Emotiva. You either love the brand or you hate it. Those that love Emotiva and the products the company makes are willing to defend their honor in ways that would make an Apple fanboy blush, whereas those who abhor Emotiva simply dismiss the products as cheap Chinese-manufactured junk. In truth, these two extremes are both minorities, as there are scores of Emotiva customers (like any other brand) who simply enjoy what they have and don't really fuss too much one way or the other. It's for these folks this review is written. I've come to the conclusion, as I sit here and write my first-ever Emotiva review, that there are those who have already pre-judged whatever it is I have to say based solely on their preconceived notions of the brand or this publication's prior statements about it. Rest assured, I had no preconceived notions nor ill feelings going into this review - I just wanted to see what all the excitement, good and bad, was about. With all that said, the UMC-200, reviewed here, was worth all the blood, sweat and tears.

The UMC-200 retails for $599 and is sold direct via Emotiva's own website, as is the case with all of the company's products. The UMC-200 is Emotiva's new entry-level AV preamp that replaces the UMC-1 which, depending upon what side of the fence you fall, was either an unmitigated success or a disaster. I have no personal experience one way or the other with the UMC-1, and seeing as how it is no longer manufactured or for sale, its somewhat tumultuous existence is no longer relevant, at least for me and this review. The UMC-200 does look a bit like the UMC-1, though it is more streamlined, not to mention smaller, measuring 17 inches wide by 14 inches deep and three-and-a-quarter inches tall. It weighs a scant ten pounds, though it still feels very solidly built, which I must say its product photos don't properly convey. From the outside, the UMC-200 is all Emotiva, bearing its trademark black and silver color scheme. Again, I haven't been the biggest fan of Emotiva's looks and in photos have always found its silver edge pieces (which are removable) to be a bit gimmicky, whereas in person they're not bad. Still not my favorite, but again, the pictures don't do the UMC-200 justice. The front of the UMC-200 is pretty sparse, possessing but a few manual controls, consisting of a directional keypad, menu, standby, return and volume buttons. There is an input for the calibrated microphone, as well as for headphones located on the front panel, directly below the blue backlit display. It should be noted the display is adjustable in its backlighting, but not fully defeatable.

Around back, you'll find a neatly laid-out array of input/output options. Moving from left to right, the first of the UMC-200's input/output options is its AM/FM antenna inputs, followed by its 7.1 preamp outs. The UMC-200's preamp outputs are all unbalanced save one, the subwoofer out, which is available both unbalanced and balanced - and, yes, you can run multiple subs discretely. There's even a summed or mixed pair of stereo outs for use with an outboard recorder. Above the preamp outs rest four pairs of analog stereo inputs, flanked by the UMC-200's 7.1 analog inputs. Right of the preamp outs are the UMC-200's two pairs of multi-zone, analog stereo outputs. Above the zone outputs are two pairs of digital audio inputs, one pair coax, the other optical. To the right of the digital audio outputs are the UMC-200's HDMI input/outputs; there are four HDMI ins mated to a single HDMI out. The HDMI ports are all HDMI 1.4-compliant, with ARC support. Above and below the HDMI ports are two USB inputs, the top for use with the soon to be released but optional Bluetooth adapter and the bottom for software updates only - sorry, no USB auxiliary or computer connections here. Throw in a couple of 12-volt triggers, removable power cord and a master on/off switch and you've got the UMC-200's rear panel pretty much summed up. You'll note I didn't mention any sort of legacy video inputs located on the UMC-200's back panel and for good reason: there aren't any, which I'll get to later.

Behind the scenes, the UMC-200 is about as full-featured as one can hope for under $600. The UMC-200 utilizes an AD 7623 internal HDMI switch that features Xpressview switching for faster pick-up when traversing between sources. It also utilizes Twin Cirrus 32-bit dual-core, fixed point DSPs in its surround sound decoding. Besides supporting and playing back all the latest surround sound codecs, including Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, the UMC-200 also features Emotiva's own EmoQ Gen 2 automatic room correction software. Auto room correction is nothing new, but EmoQ is. Emotiva's version of the technology, unique to EmoQ and perhaps to the UMC-200 on a whole, is its use of multiple memories, especially its user-definable memories as they pertain to its EmoQ findings. Apart from giving you automated room correction, the UMC-200 possesses an 11 band parametric EQ per channel (minus the sub) should you wish to create your own filters from scratch, provided you know how to do so. The subwoofer channel employs a four-band parametric EQ. As a point of reference, the only other AV components that I've personally come across that allow for full parametric EQ are Classe's SSP-800 and CP-800, both of which cost far more than the UMC-200. Lastly, there are the UMC-200's menus, which overlay the video in real time, thereby allowing for on the fly adjustments, including those to its various EQ settings - a very nice touch. For more on the UMC-200's lesser features or for a full, detailed breakdown of each, please visit the UMC-200 product page on the Emotiva website.

This brings me to the UMC-200's remote. As I understand it, UMC-200's remote is a departure from past Emotiva designs, as it is long, slender and made of plastic, rather than metal. Having not known previous Emotiva remotes, I can't comment on which is better or worse. Suffice to say I found the UMC-200's remote to fit comfortably in hand and, despite not having any form of backlighting, I was able to navigate it blind after only a few minutes.

READ THE REST

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndrewRobinsonOnline For This Useful Post:

CALIBER (01-31-2013), mdanderson (02-01-2013)

Thread Information