werthliving.com

Thread: LCD TV shipments down slightly; plasmas fall off cliff in 2012

HDJ Platinum Club Member gadgtfreek's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,043 Times in 2,360 Posts

Default LCD TV shipments down slightly; plasmas fall off cliff in 2012

werthliving.com

The LCD market's troubles came in developed markets, where demand fell by 18 percent compared to 2011, according to NPD. Demand was down, the researcher said, because of a continuing weakness in the global economy, as well as very little price erosion -- selling prices fell just 2 percent last year.

As if LCD performance wasn't bad enough, NPD reported that plasma shipments fell off a cliff, dropping 23 percent compared to 2011. All told, 233 million televisions were shipped worldwide last year, a 6 percent decline compared to the 249 million that shipped in 2011.
    Link

Thanks
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 2,142 Posts

Default Re: LCD TV shipments down slightly; plasmas fall off cliff in 2012

Well, if they would reduce their prices some more...I bet they'd move some more. (2012 models anyway)
    Denon AVR-X4000 * Harmony ONE
    Klipsch RF-82 II front * RC3 center * RP3 surrounds * KEF HTS1001 rear
    Rythmik Audio DS1501 CI sub
    Oppo BDP-103
    Samsung LN46B550 LCD

Thanks

I dont think that would help as much. I think plasma is still hampered by negative views, and lack of smaller screen sizes (not a bad thing). Most people I know are gabbing LCD's in the 30-46" range, stuff like insignias. Even the nice cheap plasmas cant compete with those prices.

I guess pricing is a fine line they, they have started fighting to keep the price higher thru the lifespan, which means more money per unit, but could mean less sales. I dunno, i dont even begin to think Im an economist

I just think if people were properly informed, you'd see less LCD sales and more larger screen plasma sales.

Thanks

If plasma's were above 65 inch say 70 or 75 or 80 at reasonable prices, I think folks will get them but it is too expensive I believe for plasma manufacturers to make in those big sizes unfortunately.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers,
    2 Paradigm SE Sub. Pics here.

Thanks

Im not sure, I still think most people are watcing 50" and under, a realm where plasma loses.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Whiddon View Post
    Im not sure, I still think most people are watcing 50" and under, a realm where plasma loses.
    Yep the average screen size is still more like 46". However the growth areas (small as they are), are in 50"+ thanks to people realizing they want a larger display after owning their first HDTV at a smaller size, and the enticement of big cheap displays being pushed by Sharp and Vizio especially.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpHeRe31459 View Post
    Yep the average screen size is still more like 46". However the growth areas (small as they are), are in 50"+ thanks to people realizing they want a larger display after owning their first HDTV at a smaller size, and the enticement of big cheap displays being pushed by Sharp and Vizio especially.

You can also tell of the small screen mentality (less than 50") when looking at compression ratios of HDTV by Dish, Directv and Cable.

Thanks

I just had a good friend of mine come and ask me what I thought about the Emerson 32" LCD at Wally for $228. I dont know if my opinion helped, but she said it was so cheap it caught her attention.
    Panasonic 60GT50
    Sony STR-DE995
    Pioneer SP-PK52FS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,746 Times in 1,462 Posts

Another major factor to keep in mind, the HD market is pretty well saturated, between those who recently update to big screen plasma's or LED's and then were encouraged to buy 3D. I mean just how often do these manufacturers think people are willing to dump their panels just to get the newest TV's. aside from people like use who are always ready to update, the average J6P is hoping to get many years out of his recent investment. I believe this is the main reasons manufacturers are scaling back reduction, so they can sell for near retail rather then 'fire-sales' to move out old stock. It just seems like common sense. Limited production builds demand at their prices. At another forum new buyers are crying about 5 to 6K TV's I don't believe they will be willing to dump their sets for cheap, (after all what is the resale value of these things) so they can run out and buy the latest, greatest Tv's.
    Sent from my Fisher Price touch&talk~using ITouchmyself II
    LG OLED 55B6P ~SonyXBR929~Oppo UDP203~Denon 3311~Mirage V2 SPK-SYS w/ S10 SW~ DVP5000~Harmony1100
    Cablevision Optimum via Scientific Atlantic 8300HDDVR

Thanks

Yep, people in the US (other regions are different) are keeping their flat panels on average for 5 years, which of course is still a higher rate than in the CRT era, when people kept their TVs for 10-20 years.

But the industry just needs to accept and adjust to the fact that we're at that point where HDTV penetration is solid and people just don't want to replace their TVs every 2-years like they do their cell phones.

I'll have to find where I read that recently... It was a blurb in a Home Theater Mag or a Sound & Vision Mag...

EDIT: Found it: http://www.hometheater.com/content/time-replace-your-tv

I remembered it wrong, it's actually slightly longer, it's 6 years.

While most households were planning to replace clunky tube sets with flat-panel HDTVs, replacing an original flat panel was a factor in mature markets such as England and the U.S., which has an even more accelerated replacement cycle of about six years.

Thanks

Another couple of points from the research findings blurb in HT Mag:

Contrary to what TV makers would like to believe, TV shoppers are not clamoring for hot features such as 3D and Internet connectivity, characterizing them as only somewhat important in selecting a new TV.

Speaking of 3D, although sales of 3D-equipped HDTVs are on the rise in the U.S., NPD reports that Americans are less than enthusiastic about the feature. Among consumers who expressed interest in buying a TV before the end of 2012, only 14 percent called 3D a must-have feature, while seven in 10 said it’s a nice feature that they may use in the future.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,746 Times in 1,462 Posts

Another couple of points from the research findings blurb in HT Mag:
    Many of us have accepted 3D tech, not out of desire for that feature but, because manufacturers kinda forced it on us by making 3D sets with the ToL image processors, so if you want the best picture you have to accept a 3D panel.
    Sent from my Fisher Price touch&talk~using ITouchmyself II
    LG OLED 55B6P ~SonyXBR929~Oppo UDP203~Denon 3311~Mirage V2 SPK-SYS w/ S10 SW~ DVP5000~Harmony1100
    Cablevision Optimum via Scientific Atlantic 8300HDDVR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ImRizzo View Post
    Many of us have accepted 3D tech, not out of desire for that feature but, because manufacturers kinda forced it on us by making 3D sets with the ToL image processors, so if you want the best picture you have to accept a 3D panel.
    Correct. It has become pretty much just another check box on mid to high-end TVs. However, that's not what the survey asked. It asked if people were interested in the feature of 3D, which most people aren't. It's not about whether they ended up buying a 3D TV, which as we both have said, 3D ends up just being thrown in as a feature of TV sets.

This slipping 3D in to most HDTVs is why TV vendors can also say "sales of 3D TVs are up", since it comes as a feature in almost any nicer TV, whether the buyers are interested in the 3D ability or not.

Thanks

I have to wonder if this error in logic has lead the industry to push for 3D and SmartTV features. This is a basic flaw in research gathering. How can the TV vendors be sure people want 3D when the TV's people want have 3D in them "for free" at this point. So it's basically a self-confirming loop where they see what they want to in the stats because they're ensuring the features are driven down into the TVs people would hypothetically buy anyway.

Thanks

I have to wonder if this error in logic has lead the industry to push for 3D and SmartTV features. This is a basic flaw in research gathering. How can the TV vendors be sure people want 3D when the TV's people want have 3D in them "for free" at this point. So it's basically a self-confirming loop where they see what they want to in the stats because they're ensuring the features are driven down into the TVs people would hypothetically buy anyway.
    When I started looking for an HDTV, all I wanted was a simple, high quality monitor. Didn't need it to be Smart or 3D. I didn't need all of the extras because I figured I would just get a Roku or Apple TV for the streaming, bluray player for discs, etc. How many devices now have streaming built right in??? Example: how many devices can now stream Netflix. If I have a full setup, 4-5 devices are all capable of it within in the same system. A waste if you ask me.
    Panasonic 60GT50
    Sony STR-DE995
    Pioneer SP-PK52FS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by huntnfishnut View Post
    When I started looking for an HDTV, all I wanted was a simple, high quality monitor. Didn't need it to be Smart or 3D. I didn't need all of the extras because I figured I would just get a Roku or Apple TV for the streaming, bluray player for discs, etc. How many devices now have streaming built right in??? Example: how many devices can now stream Netflix. If I have a full setup, 4-5 devices are all capable of it within in the same system. A waste if you ask me.
    Yep and still the only services most people use are streaming audio/video. All those extra widgets, etc. people could give a rats arse about.

Thread Information