werthliving.com

Thread: Exclusive: Microsoft's next Xbox will take over your TV, interact with your cable box

Thanks

Default Exclusive: Microsoft's next Xbox will take over your TV, interact with your cable box

werthliving.com

Makes sense for the always on feature rumor.

"Microsoft is investing in TV in a big way with its next Xbox console as part of a fight for the living room. Multiple sources familiar with the company's Xbox plans have revealed to The Verge that Microsoft will introduce a feature that lets its next-generation console take over a TV and set-top box in a similar way to Google TV. We understand that the next Xbox will require an online connection to use the entertainment services, allowing them to be always-on for streaming and access to TV signals."

Source: Theverge
    RIP STEVEN 12/26/2013

Thanks

Default Re: Exclusive: Microsoft's next Xbox will take over your TV, interact with your cable

I would assume it is wi-fi enabled? Don't have a hardwire cat5 next to the tv.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers,
    2 Paradigm SE Sub. Pics here.

Thanks

Default Re: Exclusive: Microsoft's next Xbox will take over your TV, interact with your cable

LOL! Yeah.

I was wondering why they would have a HDMI in. Now we know.

Of course this is useless for me because I don't have cable or sat.
    RIP STEVEN 12/26/2013

Thanks

This pass-through paradigm that GoogleTV has and similar to the WiiU which includes control of the TV (and supposedly eventually interaction with TiVo brand hardware) doesn't really seem to be all that great. Notice no one is clamoring for GoogleTV devices, even though it's supposed to overlay info, etc.

The biggest problem with the STB pass-through, is that it just isn't seamless. It uses an IR blaster and it means channel change delays, and possibilities of misfires, etc. It also basically means there are two UIs competing, the guide from the box itself and whatever overlays of TV guide and social networking, etc. the Xbox720 will use.

It's like the bad old days of using a TiVo Series 1 or 2 or using Windows Media Center (pre-CableCARD tuner availability) to control a cable box. Unless you can do a nice hardwired connection somehow, old Moto cable boxes had a serial port that could be directly controlled, or for a modern box with HDMI CEC (if it's available on the box), this will be pretty hackish.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpHeRe31459 View Post
    This pass-through paradigm that GoogleTV has and similar to the WiiU which includes control of the TV (and supposedly eventually interaction with TiVo brand hardware) doesn't really seem to be all that great. Notice no one is clamoring for GoogleTV devices, even though it's supposed to overlay info, etc.
    I was thinking of this also, but you aren't buying the device for this purpose. It's a throw-in with the gaming system, so I think people would use this more. I have no idea why, but I think MS is really holding back a lot of information to blow our minds come May. I really think this is going to be a monster. Notice they aren't in any rush to combat the PS4 reveal. That's a sign they are really confident in this thing.
    RIP STEVEN 12/26/2013

Thanks

Will the new xbox play older xbox games?
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers,
    2 Paradigm SE Sub. Pics here.

Casual HD User
    Thanks

I'm interested to see if you can opt to just stream individual channels for a certain price, rather than purchase a whole "package" like you do with normal cable. I'd gladly kill my cable if I could only watch MLB Network, ESPN, Science and History channel.
    Panasonic 55ST50, BenQ w1070, Denon AVR1913, JBL LC1, JBL L880 (x2), JBL L810 (x2), Polk Audio PSW111.

Administrator|Owner
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NYYFan02 View Post
    I'm interested to see if you can opt to just stream individual channels for a certain price, rather than purchase a whole "package" like you do with normal cable. I'd gladly kill my cable if I could only watch MLB Network, ESPN, Science and History channel.
    Don't think that's going to happen, unless cable companies allow it. -CC

Administrator|Owner
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tripplej View Post
    Will the new xbox play older xbox games?
    Probably cloud based ala PS4. I really think it's not a big issue for PS4 or Xbox next. Remember last gen when people screamed about Xbox 360 being not backwards compatible with 100% of their games. They worked on that for the next year and afterwards nobody cared. -CC

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ADMIN View Post
    Don't think that's going to happen, unless cable companies allow it. -CC
    But it's not up to the cable company is it? i.e. Comcast or Time Warner doesn't own Science channel for instance (well maybe it does, but just for the sake of argument, lets say they don't), what stops that channel from offering an individual stream of their channel for say $10 a month? ESPN is owned by Disney, why can't ESPN say to XBOX, offer streaming service of our station for x dollars a month.
    Panasonic 55ST50, BenQ w1070, Denon AVR1913, JBL LC1, JBL L880 (x2), JBL L810 (x2), Polk Audio PSW111.

Thanks

But it's not up to the cable company is it? i.e. Comcast or Time Warner doesn't own Science channel for instance (well maybe it does, but just for the sake of argument, lets say they don't), what stops that channel from offering an individual stream of their channel for say $10 a month? ESPN is owned by Disney, why can't ESPN say to XBOX, offer streaming service of our station for x dollars a month.
    Because no content owner will do it, that would royally piss off their bread and butter (cable and satellite). No content owner has yet to do anything like that.

What's more likely is that the 720 will just offer the same (and maybe expanded) app offerings in partnership with different TV providers, just as they do now on the 360.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SpHeRe31459 For This Useful Post:

CALIBER (04-11-2013)

Thanks

I hear what you are saying, and hope that it will work like that because I am in the same boat as you. If I could buy a few cable channels I would be happy between them and some off air local's.

I am really hoping for something like this, I am tired of paying $65-$75 a month to watch 6 channels. Three of which are local's that I could likely get for free with a $50 antenna.

Now I don't game, but if a gaming console could do something like this I would buy one for that purpose alone!!
    Magnepan, B&K, Emotiva, HSU

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpHeRe31459 View Post
    Because no content owner will do it, that would royally piss off their bread and butter (cable and satellite). No content owner has yet to do anything like that.

What's more likely is that the 720 will just offer the same (and maybe expanded) app offerings in partnership with different TV providers, just as they do now on the 360.
    Agreed! But one can hope!!
    Magnepan, B&K, Emotiva, HSU

Thanks

Some good points in this CNET editorial:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-9020_7-...-cable-tv-war/

An HDMI input lets the Xbox get full access to all of your cable content -- both live and recorded -- without having to wait for cable and satellite companies to improve their apps. The future of pay TV is undoubtedly streaming, but Microsoft can use an HDMI input as a bridge until the industry catches up. Given the cable industry's tortoiselike pace of innovation, it makes sense not to wait.
    Who knows, really, how long it'll take the cable TV industry to finally ditch the cable box-and-DVR approach, and when app-based alternatives will finally arrive.

In the meantime, Microsoft can use HDMI-in like a Band-Aid. The last generation of consoles lasted a long time and evolved tremendously via hardware and software. What you'll see at the next Xbox's launch isn't what you'll see four years in, and that's a good thing. If all goes according to plan, hopefully the next Xbox will become an HDMI-in-free device down the road. It's easier to eventually remove a feature than add one.

You may laugh at HDMI-in as a pundit, but you might love it as a user. At least until the cable industry finally jumps into the streaming revolution with both feet.

Administrator|Owner
    Thanks

Interesting.

Thanks

Xbox is being announced on May 21st. It's now official!

Bring it on:

RIP STEVEN 12/26/2013

Thread Information