Originally published on Andrew-Robinson-Online.com
-----

Last month I wrote an article entitled Is Anamorphic Still Relevant? In it I tackled the basic ideas and concepts associated with anamorphic filmmaking and exhibition in the digital age and how because of digital the once optical “cheat” has been rendered somewhat useless. While I didn’t write the article to put a stop to the filmmaking process known to many as anamorphic, nor did I write it to tear down companies who specialize in the manufacturing of anamorphic lenses and products, that didn’t stop many from believing I did. Truth is, despite what I know about anamorphic filmmaking and exhibition, I still like the look of it. I would even consider filming in it as it is, in its own way, a form of artistic impression. That being said, artistic or not, it doesn’t mean I have to simply go along with some of the myths that seem to be associated with the format.

One of the myths in question has to do with this idea that because a properly setup digital projector with an anamorphic lens attached uses the projector’s entire image sensor the resulting projected image is somehow brighter. This “truth bomb” was lobbed at me several times following the publishing of my original anamorphic article. One company specializing in anamorphic lens attachments, with whom I have a close, friendly relationship with, even asked me to test it -again. I say again because I had originally stated that in my tests I saw no difference in light output between a projector with an anamorphic lens versus one without. But, I’m not always right and it never hurts to double check.

Advocates for anamorphic lens setups will say that using a lens will result in more light hitting the screen because a) you using all of your projector’s chipset and b) you don’t have to zoom out as far to achieve the same size image -as it relates to width of course. Both these reasons seem to make a lot of sense, they’re even logical. I’ll admit in my earlier test, the one where I stated that I saw no difference, I merely measured the light output of a projector, with and without a lens attached. In my new test, the one that inspired this post, I would tighten up my form in order to ensure an apples to apples comparison. Here goes...

READ THE RESULTS