werthliving.com

Thread: Why Seiki's UltraHD/4K Display Changes Everything

Official HDJ Industry Insider AndrewRobinsonOnline's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Why Seiki's UltraHD/4K Display Changes Everything

werthliving.com

Originally published on Andrew-Robinson-Online.com
    -----

A former colleague of mine recently reminded his readers (in what I think was a jab aimed at me) that I once famously said, “the industry isn’t going to sell 4K, 50-inches at a time.” What he was referring to was a comment I made following this past January’s CES show in Las Vegas, where UltraHD/4K was on full display -though mostly via one-off displays that no real consumer will ever own. The more realistic UltraHD/4K displays were of the 50 and 60 inch varieties. While UltraHD/4K sets were hardly scarce, details regarding pricing and availability were. Moreover, in my experience, from practical viewing distances when conducting true head-to-head comparisons between HD and UltraHD/4K displays, the difference in quality turned out to be negligible. It was a combination of both my personal experience with UltraHD/4K up to that point, plus my experience at CES that lead me to make the comments that I did. I don’t regret my statement, as I still believe, all things but resolution being equal, the real differences between UltraHD/4K and HD are not night and day. That being said, I couldn’t have foreseen the Seiki SE50UY04 50-inch UltraHD/4K LED display. Nor could I have predicted its sub $1,500 price point.

There is a way that one can sell UltraHD/4K to the masses -even with screen sizes less than say 60 inches. You make UltraHD/4K’s presence irrelevant. What I mean by this is simple; if the difference in price between HD and UltraHD/4K is negligible at best, why not then pop for 4K? That is what Seiki has done with their new 50-inch display and their soon to be released 60 or 65-inch UltraHD/4K models too. Now, we don’t know just how good (or bad) the Seiki is, but let us assume, for the sake of argument, that it’s good. Maybe not great, but better than average; in line with the likes of say Vizio, Toshiba, Westinghouse, Hisense and more. At roughly $1,500 the Seiki UltraHD/4K display falls under the realm of affordability and is priced within the scope of a lot of 50-inch HD displays. At its price, size and availability the Seiki becomes viable, and not because it is an UltraHD/4K display. The fact that it is an UltraHD/4K only serves to “enhance” its proposed value. Assuming Seiki performs well.

READ THE REST

Thanks

Default Re: Why Seiki's UltraHD/4K Display Changes Everything

My only concern is the 30 fps that these 4K units all have.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers,
    2 Paradigm SE Sub. Pics here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tripplej View Post
    My only concern is the 30 fps that these 4K units all have.
    I'll let you know what I find out when my review unit is delivered next week.

HDJ Platinum Club Member gadgtfreek's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,043 Times in 2,360 Posts

There is another reason its so cheap!

On the spec, it’s important to note that this bare-bones (non-SmartTV) lacking what has become table stakes for most brands (things like Wi-Fi, Netflix, Hulu, or Video camera for Skype.) Perhaps even more important, there is no color management control including no gamma, or gray scale (for color temperature calibration) adjustments.
    Link

This display falls under "owning a 4K set just to say you own one".

Thanks

Still really curious to see how this performs. I can care less about the SmartTV stuff. I'll never use that. Just give me a TV minus all the stuff.
    RIP STEVEN 12/26/2013

IN MEMORY OF L2W
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,820 Times in 3,787 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Still really curious to see how this performs. I can care less about the SmartTV stuff. I'll never use that. Just give me a TV minus all the stuff.
    I've seen the other Seiki displays and believe me they are not anything to get excited about..so how do you go from average to amazing in one TV model?..answer...you don't...let me tell you what you can buy for under $1500..you can buy a Panasonic S64..65 inch plasma!..I've seen this TV at Sams Club and it's excellent...did you notice that I said 65 inch Panasonic...it has the ST60 filter on it...awesome product...what Seiki has managed to do is get some free advertsing by entering into the 4k segment at this price point...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    It's not just missing Smart TV stuff, which I think we all agree is fine if cut from the feature list. The big issue is that it missing basic things like proper picture adjustment menus. That's a big mistake.

Thanks

I think you're judging the display without having seen it. What if it's good? If it's crap then I suppose people will feel vindicated but if it's good? Moreover, there is a video standard, a standard that all displays aspire to, meaning if it can hit it then it can hit it. End of story. I know there isn't any sort of CMS with the Seiki, but there isn't with a lot of displays. Even when CMS is present that doesn't always equal a correct picture. I'm just saying, don't pass judgement on anything until you've seen it for yourself.

Thanks

Agreed. I agree with all the doubts based on the unknown of the company and the price, but everything I've read has been impressive. We shall see...
    RIP STEVEN 12/26/2013

Thread Information