werthliving.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Rallying AGAINST 4K is Stupid

Thanks
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 2,142 Posts

Default Re: Why Rallying AGAINST 4K is Stupid

werthliving.com

Eh.....I don't think those who would buy those discs ignorant......it's really hard to keep up with the misinformation that is being given. Unfortunate....

Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot1 View Post
    To get some would-be ignoramuses to part with their money.
    Denon AVR-X4000 * Harmony ONE
    Klipsch RF-82 II front * RC3 center * RP3 surrounds * KEF HTS1001 rear
    Rythmik Audio DS1501 CI sub
    Oppo BDP-103
    Samsung LN46B550 LCD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,745 Times in 1,461 Posts

I have Ghost Busters and Taxi Driver in 4K, just haven't had a chance to view them yet ( along with about 25 other new BR disc)

Quote Originally Posted by GOS View Post
    It's interesting, that today, when I logged in to Amazon, they have a little section where they sort of PLUG 4K, or at least put it on their site so folks can start getting used to seeing the name....and they give a little description of it. And, supply a link to their own site which shows you which blu-rays currently are mastered in 4K, that Amazon offers.

As of today, here is what they have listed:
    GHOSTBUSTERS 4K
    THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 4K
    ANGELS AND DEMONS 4K
    TOTAL RECALL 4K
    SPIDER-MAN 4K
    BATTLE LOS ANGELES 4K
    TAXI DRIVER 4K
    GLORY 4K
    THE OTHER GUYS 4K
    KARATE KID 4K
    Sent from my Fisher Price touch&talk~using ITouchmyself II
    LG OLED 55B6P ~SonyXBR929~Oppo UDP203~Denon 3311~Mirage V2 SPK-SYS w/ S10 SW~ DVP5000~Harmony1100
    Cablevision Optimum via Scientific Atlantic 8300HDDVR

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GOS View Post
    Eh.....I don't think those who would buy those discs ignorant......it's really hard to keep up with the misinformation that is being given. Unfortunate....
    That's true..deception is a snake oil salesman's best friend.

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

I like the Mi4k line as every transfer has been sourced from 4K with healthy bitrates ensuring the highest quality on 1080p/Blu.

Do you want to know what is by far the biggest disappointment about Blu-ray? The fact that many catalog titles are sourced from old transfers done at 1080p often riddled with DNR and edge enhancement.

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

I'm not so sure that this time around content providers are going to be willing to spend the dollars to upgrade their equipment.

What we may be left with is mostly upconversions performed at the display. Good luck watching sports on an LED LCD.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,745 Times in 1,461 Posts

Agreed or left at the mercy of Manufacturers own provided material, which would be limited in choice and expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    I'm not so sure that this time around content providers are going to be willing to spend the dollars to upgrade their equipment.

What we may be left with is mostly upconversions performed at the display. Good luck watching sports on an LED LCD.
    Sent from my Fisher Price touch&talk~using ITouchmyself II
    LG OLED 55B6P ~SonyXBR929~Oppo UDP203~Denon 3311~Mirage V2 SPK-SYS w/ S10 SW~ DVP5000~Harmony1100
    Cablevision Optimum via Scientific Atlantic 8300HDDVR

Thanks

Had to go into a large UK electrical store yesterday to buy a new vacuum cleaner, so took the opportunity to check out the 4K sets on display. Best was the Sony, showing some reference quality World Cup material. Super sharp, in that LED sort of way, and quite impressive. But. If we ever get 4K broadcasts, will the bitrates and encoding used look anything like this display material ? Not a chance. They cant even provide decent 1080i broadcasts, let alone 1080P. Any future 4k material will be compressed to hell. And good luck watching upscaled HD & SD on your 4K panel.

Not for me thanks.
    Panasonic ZT65 ( isf calibrated ) / Cambridge Audio 752BD / Pioneer VSX-LX55 / Sky+ HD 2TB / Tannoy Arena 5.1 / Dual CS506 / Rega fono mini / Isotek Mira / QED Cables / D6500 LED Bias Lighting

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Never say never.

Thanks

Never say never.
    Are you James Bond in disguise ?

OK, well not until there are affordable OLED 4K sets available, AND decent 4K content to watch on it !
    Panasonic ZT65 ( isf calibrated ) / Cambridge Audio 752BD / Pioneer VSX-LX55 / Sky+ HD 2TB / Tannoy Arena 5.1 / Dual CS506 / Rega fono mini / Isotek Mira / QED Cables / D6500 LED Bias Lighting

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

I know where you're coming from.....and my first name legally is "James". lol

Broadcasters don't do such a great job with 1080i so why think that'll improve.

We'll getting 4K whether we like it or not but I'm not entirely convinced about OLED. On first blush, OLED sounds like the golden grail. Lets see how well they hold up.

Tiger Meat!! Tiger Meat!! cajieboy's Avatar
    Thanks

I know where you're coming from.....and my first name legally is "James". lol

Broadcasters don't do such a great job with 1080i so why think that'll improve.

We'll getting 4K whether we like it or not but I'm not entirely convinced about OLED. On first blush, OLED sounds like the golden grail. Lets see how well they hold up.
    Yep, a lot of big "IF's" concerning OLED. Like many here, I'm I'm waiting to see how it all develops. My best guess is that R&D will need to advance for a few successful generations before a more clear picture unfolds. As for 4K, it's happening alright, but in this country I wouldn't hold your breath for any 4K broadcasting in the near future. When I want to watch a really good movie, I always rent the Blu-Ray at Red Box. A BIG difference in PQ from the streaming version off my Roku.Just too much compression.
    Faster than a speeding bullet...more powerful than a locomotive...able to leap tall buildings in a single bound...

Thanks

Bruceames has a Sony 4k set. He said he was very impressed with it and it up scales beautifully .
    Hope he pops in and gives his impressions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    L2W you will be missed.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mytime For This Useful Post:

GOS (07-15-2014)

Casual HD User
    Thanks

I'm against buying one personally. I only use my TV for gaming either of the current gen consoles Xbone and PS4 don't support 4k so its a waste for me. Also a 1080p plasma looks much better than the 4k "led" monitors I don't see a point. I think people should wait 2-3 years when 8k is released. Its just like the HDDVD BluRay war. Just be patient and get the better product

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Even less point to 8K than to 4K. You wouldn't be able to see the difference on any screen that would fit in your home.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MDRiggs View Post
    Even less point to 8K than to 4K. You wouldn't be able to see the difference on any screen that would fit in your home.
    I've wondered about that myself, thinking how big of a screen is necessary for full acuity of 4K. Could 8K benefit the realism of a virtual reality 3D headset and/or 85" display?
    Faster than a speeding bullet...more powerful than a locomotive...able to leap tall buildings in a single bound...

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

See http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html. Unless you're sitting right on top of the screen, you need way more than 85 inches for even 4K to matter.

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 907 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MDRiggs View Post
    See http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html. Unless you're sitting right on top of the screen, you need way more than 85 inches for even 4K to matter.
    Hi MDRiggs,

Well, I wouldn't say "right on top of it." I do often sit right around five feet from my screen, and at that distance even 85" does make a difference per the chart. Still, your sentiment is right on. I've looked at some 85" 4k TVs from that distance, and they did not wow me (the curved screens were the absolute worst). Once we hit a 100" diagonal or more, it really kicks in, but below that it's unimpressive. Also, if these flat panel UHD TVs are going to cost $5k and more, then for the same money one has to ask whether it isn't better just to switch to a projector.

Yours,

David

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davidjschenk View Post
    Hi MDRiggs,

Well, I wouldn't say "right on top of it." I do often sit right around five feet from my screen, and at that distance even 85" does make a difference per the chart. Still, your sentiment is right on. I've looked at some 85" 4k TVs from that distance, and they did not wow me (the curved screens were the absolute worst). Once we hit a 100" diagonal or more, it really kicks in, but below that it's unimpressive. Also, if these flat panel UHD TVs are going to cost $5k and more, then for the same money one has to ask whether it isn't better just to switch to a projector.

Yours,

David
    At this moment in time, I agree with you and would choose the projector route if were wanting to go 4K right now. It just makes more sense both in performance & screen size. BUT, say 4-5 years from now, we see a self-illuminating display like for instance an OLED 4K that has been improved to a level of performance, reliability & price point that would be more than acceptable. I know this is the hope on many A/V folks that have recently purchased a display, but also are looking at the future of video tech for their next purchase down the road a few years. It's a shame that the video tech cycle is at this stage of development, and that plasma tech has ended a few years too soon IMHO. But it is what it is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information