werthliving.com

Thread: The Sony KDL-70R550A Owners Thread

Thanks

Default The Sony KDL-70R550A Owners Thread

werthliving.com

I just went through the process of ordering a Samsung PN64F8500 from Amazon. Unfortunately I confirmed that I am one of the few people that are sensitive to plasma trails and flicker. The TV was perfect, great picture but I just could not watch it. More than 30 minutes of viewing any content and headaches etc started. I already knew I had issues with DLP tech but was hoping that the newer Plasma would work. Back to Amazon it went.

Since my eyes are not bothered by LCD/LED tech, I ordered the 70" KDL-70RR550A from Amazon. It was delivered from Amazon two days early. The Air Freight Company showed up within the stated window, unboxed, attached the pedestal and placed it on the stand. They patiently waited while I connected the HDMI, LAN, and Antenna cables so I could check out the set.

I am coming from a Toshiba Regza full array local dimming set with great blacks. The R550 holds it's own in that regard. I have noticed no flashlighting, edge light bleed, or banding. DSE is not noticeable nor have I noticed any lack of uniformity. The out of the box custom setting with ECO sensor disabled is very accurate.

I decided to dust off the i1Pro and Calman and check the new 70' R550 out. First up was a check of Custom/Warm at out of the box settings. 48fL, Greyscale with errors all well below a delta E of 3, a very flat gamma of 2.2, primaries all pretty close, and two out of the three secondaries spot on with the third fairly close. Color temperature was almost at D6500 erring slightly to the warm side. I ran through again selecting Custom/Neutral and found that the Color Temperature had jumped to around 9500 which of course made the Greyscale go way out of whack. However the Color and Gamma were still quite good.

For viewing in our house I dialed back the lumens a bit to around 42fL. I adjusted Contrast/Picture to just below where clipping was observed. Brightness did not need to be adjusted as the 50 setting was spot on. Red was adjusted using a 100% red field to 21% of the 100% white field per REC709. All in all very few adjustments were required and the ones that were required were very small. As a side note I checked out a bit of Avatar in 3D and Sony has done a excellent job with passive 3D implementation.

For those that might be interested in how my settings compare:

Custom/Warm
    Backlight 3
    Picture 94
    Brightness 50
    Color 49
    Hue 0
    Sharpness Min
    Noise/Mpeg & Motion Flow off
    Advanced Settings all off, gamma 0

The Sony 70R550A holds up very well considering the lack of Greyscale or CMS adjustments...

R550Gamma.jpg

Greyscale.jpg

R550Color.jpg

Colortemp.jpg

I think the R550 provides the best overall picture quality as compared to any of the Sharp or Vizio 70" models I have seen this year. I have yet to see the "M" series in the 70" size.

3D is passive on this set and works very well.

The R550 is a May build.

Finally a screen ratio of 2.35:1 is truly emersive!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bama29 For This Useful Post:

Centauri27 (01-22-2014), SpHeRe31459 (06-21-2013)

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Default Re: The Sony KDL-70R550A Owners Thread

The biggest changes to your settings for me include Temp at Neutral and color at 33 and backlight at 6. I know it always seems to be frowned upon to use any of the advanced settings but after bouncing around I settles on gamma -2 and enhanced color at Medium. Warm just gives everything a amber cast and for me setting the color at 49 over saturates the picture. I sent back two "E" series Vizio's because of flash lighting and blobs. The Sony is perfect and I will never even consider Active 3D after seeing this baby with Passive. I kind on like the idea of $10 glasses too.

Thanks

It took me awhile to get used to the D6500 color temperature. Now that I have watched it for so long, neutral looks a little blue or cool to me. All that matters is that you are happy with what you are watching. Everyone perceives color a bit differently and some just can't watch when it is that warm. The gamma setting you have set at -2 is not one of those controls that most avoid. Even though Sony locates this in the advanced section it is quite useful in adjusting your display for a darkened room. I would guess that a -2 setting would put the gamma at between 2.3 and 2.4. This would be a great setting for darkened viewing. Also just because settings work on one set does not mean they will transfer well to another. I have to say I am quite happy with the shadow detail and the blacks on this set.
    Last edited by bama29; 06-21-2013 at 06:57 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bama29 For This Useful Post:

Centauri27 (01-22-2014)

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Hi. I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. Forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this question but it is specific to my KDL-70R550A: Is it possible to make the built-in Opera browser NOT advertise itself as a "mobile" browser? I checked out a few web sites and was surprised to see the sites respond with their mobile versions. Needless to say, viewing mobile content on a 70" screen looks a bit ridiculous to say the least. Even worse, some of the mobile content didn't even display correctly.

I came in with very low expectations from a TV browser, but it sure would be nice to see regular content from the TV. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
    Carl

HDJ Platinum Club Member gadgtfreek's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,043 Times in 2,360 Posts

Awesome man, glad to see you got a big boy. Sucks the plasma still bugs ya.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Centauri27 View Post
    Hi. I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. Forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this question but it is specific to my KDL-70R550A: Is it possible to make the built-in Opera browser NOT advertise itself as a "mobile" browser? I checked out a few web sites and was surprised to see the sites respond with their mobile versions. Needless to say, viewing mobile content on a 70" screen looks a bit ridiculous to say the least. Even worse, some of the mobile content didn't even display correctly.

I came in with very low expectations from a TV browser, but it sure would be nice to see regular content from the TV. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
    Carl
    That's a very good question. My guess since the guts are basically the same processors mobile devices use there is no full blown browsers like you get on a laptop or PC. I'm just guessing here, but I'm sure that's the case. BTW - Welcome! Glad you found us!
    RIP STEVEN 12/26/2013

Thanks

You still liking it Bama?

I really want something 70", but Sharp is not going to be it. Im hesitant on what Vizio will do with the P series this year with so few zones, so this is one of the few models Im watching as I always liked Sony LCD's:

http://store.sony.com/gsi/webstore/W...=27-KDL70W850B

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

I really want something 70", but Sharp is not going to be it. Im hesitant on what Vizio will do with the P series this year with so few zones, so this is one of the few models Im watching as I always liked Sony LCD's:

Even though I like my 70R550 OK if I were in your shoes I would seriously consider the P series. The Sony seems to handle a good feed pretty well but a not so great feed looks pretty bad. Even my wife complains about the PQ. Last weeks 2 hour Sleepy Hollow was terrible.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to inazsully For This Useful Post:

gadgtfreek (01-28-2014)

Thanks

I can tell you SH sucks on my VT50, from the local Fox OTA channel. I even downloaded it in 1080p/24 from Amazon, and most tv shows look outstanding while it still showed some flaws. I think part of that show is how its shot.

One cool thing about the "P" is its actually 4K and the same price, but Im not sure on performance. Will have to see how reviews do. I also havent quite figured out if changing from the VT50 is a good move for an extra 5".

One problem with broadcast HD is, it just looks bad when you get over a certain size and view distance.

Thanks

Sony also has a 70" XBR coming in August, but Im not sure Im confident on how inexpensive it would be LOL.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Sorry for the late reply gadgtfreek. Yes I am still very happy with my 70". Excellent 3D, white balance almost spot on and overall a very pleasing picture. One thing that this Sony does not do as well as it could with a better video processor is control the amount of motion blur that is visible in fast moving pans. Slow pans or still shots the picture is excellent. Now if you enable all of the motion control features there is almost no noticeable blur with fast pans. The downside then is a very strong Soap Opera Effect. I think that for the money, in the choices of 2013 70" sets, the Sony KDL-70R550A was the winner.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bama29 For This Useful Post:

gadgtfreek (02-12-2014)

Thread Information