werthliving.com

Thread: JVC CRT Direct View Display Issues

Intermediate Enthusiast Mike Golf's Avatar
    Thanks

Default JVC CRT Direct View Display Issues

werthliving.com

I apologize if this is the wrong place for this thread but just wanted to see if anyone had any knowledge in the issues I am having with my JVC Av-20F476 Direct View CRT. I keep this TV around for SD game consoles and classic 240p game consoles as they look and perform best with these sets, and it has been a champ for all of them. The TV was manufactured in 2007 and has been treated well, only somewhat abused by me with too much sharpness and contrast maxed before I had any clue about proper picture and image quality.

The issues I have is there is a horizontal faint line that goes completely across the screen and scrolls vertically at a somewhat slow rate, being most noticeable on light content. It did not exhibit this issue a few months ago and I suddenly noticed around the beginning of October. The second issue, and this is one it has always had but I left it alone as it is only noticeable on dark content and in a fairly dim to completely dark room, is that no matter what input I use or if there is any video going into the TV or not it has multiple wavy, light, faint lines moving around the screen erratically. There are no un-shielded magnetic devices by it to cause any signal or other kind of interference.

I have searched numerous help forums such as Fixya and have seen some threads with similar issues but on different sets, but never found anything conclusive as to what the real crux of the problem is or how to fix it. Any help is appreciated, just didn't know if there were any members around with a back catalog of CRT knowledge in this age of HD, and some day in the future, UHD sets.

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Default Re: JVC CRT Direct View Display Issues

The horizontal line may be a hum bar, caused by 60-Hz leakage from the power supply. I've seen the other phenomenon as well but don't know what causes it. Neither was uncommon back in the day. How old is the TV?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MDRiggs View Post
    The horizontal line may be a hum bar, caused by 60-Hz leakage from the power supply. I've seen the other phenomenon as well but don't know what causes it. Neither was uncommon back in the day. How old is the TV?
    The 60hz hum is something I have heard of before, but with different causes. The TV was manufactured in 2007, so six years. Would that mean the power supply is simply going out and needs to be replaced? I know that in general many CRTs had low quality power supplies, aside from the higher quality sets, thus the appearance of image blooming/enlarging when shifting between high and low brightness images.

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

I don't know, really. Six years isn't all that old, but it might be a consequence of something in the set aging.

Thanks

Well, I dropped it off at a local repair shop certified for JVC sets and with a technician who is still versed in CRT repair. They said they should get back with me on what they find by Wednesday. I'll post what comes of it so anyone else with a similar issue in the future can find it and perhaps be helped. Hoping they can get it figured out and fixed.

Thanks

Finally closing this out, but on a sad note. Service technician said he could not repair the set, and seemingly could not reproduce the effect at his bench. What does this mean? Well reading up on 60 hz hum it could plain just be the way my house is grounded, or a number of other larger scale issues that to tackle is too much effort for what I use the set for. I'll continue to enjoy it for 240p and SD gaming, and if I ever happen upon a neighbor also still using a CRT I may ask to borrow it to test if the issue indeed stems from the way my home is wired and not the set I own itself. But acquiring a second set just to test this is again too much effort for this case.

Really glad HD LCD/Plasma sets don't suffer from this...

Thread Information