werthliving.com

Thread: Quest for a 2014 70" Display

HDJ Platinum Club Member gadgtfreek's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,043 Times in 2,360 Posts

Default Quest for a 2014 70" Display

werthliving.com

Well, as a plasma guy I know very little about LCD's over the last few years so I have been researching current models. Here is what I have learned, basically, for edge lit LCD's:

Blooming, banding, flash-lighting, might as well expect some. To be honest, when Ive owned LCD's in the past, I never watched them in a pitch black room anyways. If calibrated correctly for a higher light output, using a small lamp gives you better perceived blacks and the LCD will be plenty bright.

Off angle viewing, none are great when you are used to plasma. From what i read though, it wont be a big issue for me. We sit roughly 12.5 feet away, in a scenario similar to a 3 cushion couch centered to the screen, and we sit on each end.

Being these are all 70", they are all going to be Sharp panels AFAIK, since Sharp appears to be the only ones making a 70". I imagine that matters little in final performance of the panel.

So here are the models:

Sony 69.5” (diag) W850B Premium LED HDTV KDL-70W850B
    MSRP $2899
    Should be out mid March
    Edge lit
    Motionflow 480
    No Triluminous on this model (little agitated about this)

This "wedge" design bothers me with regards to wall mounting

Sharp AQUOS Quattron+ (Q+) - SQ Line
    $3100 MSRP for 70"
    March 2014
    Quattron Plus for using extra subpixels to improve the resolution of an HD display (extra Green and Yellow pels)
    HD content upscaled
    3D Ready
    Able to handle 4K/24
    Id assume this is the "new" 800 series, so it should be a 240hz panel. From reading about Sharp, Id prefer the 240hz panel IMO.

Revelation Tech Promo Video

Im not sure Revelation and all that nonsense, it is nice for the price that it upscales 720p/1080i/1080p and can display 24hz 4K content. For the next 12-24 months, this may be a good cheaper solution until 4K works itself out a little more.

Article with some images
    http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/...1212692/review

Vizio 70" P Series
    http://ces.vizio.com/p-series.html#skip
    MSRP is $2899 IIRC

This one is very interesting for me because its UHD, its a great price and its full array local dimming (64 zones). 64 zones does worry me and I dont think it will be something outstanding. I had a 55" with 96 zones it was good, not great. All being said its a UHD at an excellent price.

No idea when this will be available.

Samsung's 2013 8000 is a nice set, and they will have a 70+ inch in 2014, but I do not expect the cost to be anywhere near my range ($3000).

At this point, I'd say the Sharp Q+ is at the top of the list, but Im going to wait to further see how things shape out. one note about Sony however, their "W" series always reviews well and calibrates well. One problem with calibrating the sharp is the yellow sub pixels reduce color accuracy and what you can do with them. This is a factor for me.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gadgtfreek For This Useful Post:

CC (01-31-2014), DavidHir (01-31-2014), GOS (01-31-2014)

Thanks

Default Re: Quest for a 2014 70" Display

Isn't it wild to think that solid 70" HDTV's are 3K and under now? Great article. The wild card in this is the Vizio. I'm curious as hell about it.
    RIP STEVEN 12/26/2013

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Isn't it wild to think that solid 70" HDTV's are 3K and under now? Great article. The wild card in this is the Vizio. I'm curious as hell about it.
    Yes. I paid 1700 for a 42 in 06.
    L2W you will be missed.

HDJ Platinum Club Member gadgtfreek's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,043 Times in 2,360 Posts

Well, and us plasma guys have to be careful about the LED LCD's to be honest. Sure, they do some things well, but if you own a recent Panasonic you are going to be downgrading in certain areas too.

That's where Im at, and with what I've read on the 2013 models I dont see myself upgrading this year, or even 2015 to be honest unless something comes out of left field. Sharp is Sharp, Sony is Sony, just like Panasonic the sets aren't going to perform much differently than last years. We are kind of in the middle of a changing market with 4K not fully finished yet and OLED coming, but not cheap and not really anything over 1080p. We are leaving a time where you could get a reference grade 65" VT series plasma for $2500-$3000 into a realm where anything remotely in that price range does not overall offer a better image. Sure, you can get size, but Sharp's quattron's aint perfect. Once good sign is full array local dimming is making a come back.

My current opinion is, keep the VT50 until OLED is decent and upgrade the living room tv. We hope to build and move in 18-24 months, at least that is the plan we are working on, and a man cave is a 100% definite. Man cave means 4K FP, no more playing around with these silly 80" LCD's that have blooming, flashlighting, etc...

I talked with Chad B awhile while he was here last week, and after his time the LG OLED it seems the best advice for plasma people is "wait for OLED". I even spoke with a certain seller of displays about the 2014 Sony XBR's, his advice was "save your $$$ and wait for OLED".

So my current opinion is hold onto that Panny plasma and hope it lasts a couple of years until OLED is "affordable", and if you want a BIG screen, start working on that man cave... A friend of mine has a 70" 800 series 2012 Quattron. Sure it has a wow factor, but my VT50 trashes it even in a lit room...

We are the current version of a Kuro owner several years ago, nothing we can afford to buy can top what we already have... This is an upgrade-a-holic's nightmare

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gadgtfreek For This Useful Post:

mytime (01-31-2014)

HDJ Platinum Club Member Bobler's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm just hoping my VT25 can hold out!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mytime View Post
    Yes. I paid 1700 for a 42 in 06.
    I paid 4500 for my 8G 50 Kuro. And that was a steal! Damn thing still looks stellar.
    RIP STEVEN 12/26/2013

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Regarding the Triluminous and Sony...

Someone (credible) I spoke to on another forum owns the current 55" UHD model and says he can see no difference with it turned on watching the Sony Mastered in 4K Blu-rays which have Triluminous metadata on them.

I am curious about the Samsungs this year. They've got A LOT of displays coming out. If I were to miraculously move on from my 65VT60 this year, I could see a 75" Samsung potentially being the reason especially with their full CMS, 10 point, etc. The F8000 was arguably the best LED for 2013, so I am curious where they go from here. Hopefully, they can improve the contrast ratio as it was rather weak although the blacks were said to be pretty good.

Thread Information