werthliving.com

Thread: recommendation for simple 7.1 receiver for small room video system

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Default recommendation for simple 7.1 receiver for small room video system

werthliving.com

Looking for a receiver to power my 7.1 speakers in small room(8 by 10).My main speakers are 25 year old Polk SDA CRS.I want receiver only for dvd and blu ray films and concerts and i like to get my audio from optical connection with my disc player directly connected to screen so no HDMI pass through receiver is needed.i do want best sound i can get for this setup.
    Im trying to replace my old digital Panasonic XA-SR55 receiver.It actually sounds great to me but a bit dated thus if I can find something that sounds better i will upgrade.

HDJ Platinum Club Member gadgtfreek's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,043 Times in 2,360 Posts

Default Re: recommendation for simple 7.1 receiver for small room video system

To be honest, most AVR's will have HDMI passthru now and if you watch any blu-ray you would be missing out on lossless audio with toslink.

I'd recommend a Denon model with Audyssey room correction.

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X100...ds=denon+x1000

Or if you can afford to spend more, step up to 2000 or 3000.

Thanks

I gotta second the Denon recommendation, it's a great brand.

Thanks

And here is a great deal!

Pioneer SC-1323 7.2-Channel Network Receiver

Its an Amazon goldbox today and discounted.

Thanks

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Thanks for your help.Could anyone describe sound of receivers and how sound quality differs on models from Yamaha,Denon,Pioneer or any others you might be familiar with.It sucks not having showrooms anymore like they used to have in Tweeter ETC. and Tech Hi Fi.Remember when you could go in and play the same song on four different receivers and just as many different speakers.Now that was audio shopping.

Thanks

My understanding is that Denon/Pioneer are more warm, and Yamaha varies. Any of those 3 have great quality, and I find room correction a more important factor in sound quality. Onkyo's are known for being harsh, but to be honest, when running Audyssey XT32 I've found a Denon, Onkyo and my Outlaw amp to be similar in nature, when all done with XT32 room correction.

I like Audyssey, anything MultEq XT and above
    Yamaha's room correction system is good from what I understand, especially on their higher end models
    MCACC does well on the Pioneer, but just reading the how to manual on AVS, it seems least user friendly for getting the best sound quality (requires extra steps and takes time).

IMO, look at Denon X1000, X2000 and X3000, depending on what your budget allows. Denon's are reliable and come with excellent room correction.

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
    Thanks for your help.Could anyone describe sound of receivers and how sound quality differs on models from Yamaha,Denon,Pioneer or any others you might be familiar with.
    They really don't vary, unless the tone controls are not really flat at their flat settings. Properly designed (routine) audio electronics have been neutral and transparent for many years.

Thanks

Matt how do those SDAs sound? I have read that if you have a set in good working order they are awesome.
    L2W you will be missed.

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

sda speakers have been in use for about 25 years for me and yes they are amazing.I first used them only for music but put them in as front speakers for my movie theater and they a excellent.They have that phasing cord that connects speakers together and it moves sound out to huge soundstage.They also have two very effective passive subs in back of each speakers cabinet that are so good I never use a stand alone one.Cant understand why Polk doesnt bring out a modern version of these for home theater.

Thanks

I didnt realize those were 4ohm speakers, you might wanna consider this instead of a Denon.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR818...ords=onkyo+818

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

I thought they were 6 Ohm.In any event my old Panasonic Sa-xr50 and sa xr 55 have been driving them for years with no issues.Im looking at some Yamaha 7.1 receivers at this point

Thanks
    Thanked 1,745 Times in 1,461 Posts

Check this out: Onyko 7.2 AVR $279.00 TX-NR626

http://www.woot.com/?utm_source=Dail...de00-297187517
    Sent from my Fisher Price touch&talk~using ITouchmyself II
    LG OLED 55B6P ~SonyXBR929~Oppo UDP203~Denon 3311~Mirage V2 SPK-SYS w/ S10 SW~ DVP5000~Harmony1100
    Cablevision Optimum via Scientific Atlantic 8300HDDVR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ImRizzo View Post
    Check this out: Onyko 7.2 AVR $279.00 TX-NR626

http://www.woot.com/?utm_source=Dail...de00-297187517
    I saw the email Woot email in my inbox, I clicked it went to their website and nearly clicked the buy button. My thought was for that price I could use that receiver somewhere. It's a good buy.

sent from my tablet using a beer.talk app
    "Turn On...Tune In...Drop Out"
    in Memory of Dr. Timothy Leary, PhD (1920-1996)

Steve Jobs dropped LCD and created The Macintosh 128K in 1984

TundraGeeks.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,745 Times in 1,461 Posts

last week the were running Pinnacle and Mirage Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by sprkeng View Post
    I saw the email Woot email in my inbox, I clicked it went to their website and nearly clicked the buy button. My thought was for that price I could use that receiver somewhere. It's a good buy.

Sent from my Fisher Price touch&talk~using ITouchmyself II
    LG OLED 55B6P ~SonyXBR929~Oppo UDP203~Denon 3311~Mirage V2 SPK-SYS w/ S10 SW~ DVP5000~Harmony1100
    Cablevision Optimum via Scientific Atlantic 8300HDDVR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ImRizzo View Post
    last week the were running Pinnacle and Mirage Speakers
    That's cool. I've notice most items are refurbished. The Roku that I bought is a refurbished but for $$ saving it's worth the gamble.

"Turn On...Tune In...Drop Out"
    in Memory of Dr. Timothy Leary, PhD (1920-1996)

Steve Jobs dropped LCD and created The Macintosh 128K in 1984

TundraGeeks.com

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
    sda speakers have been in use for about 25 years for me and yes they are amazing.I first used them only for music but put them in as front speakers for my movie theater and they a excellent.They have that phasing cord that connects speakers together and it moves sound out to huge soundstage.They also have two very effective passive subs in back of each speakers cabinet that are so good I never use a stand alone one.Cant understand why Polk doesnt bring out a modern version of these for home theater.
    The quality of the effect depended on placement and program material. It could sound great, though. Polk eventually came out with a complete SDA-based home theater system. SDA never sold well for them, though, which is why you don't see it anymore. Today, it might actually be cheaper and more effective to do interaural crosstalk cancellation purely electronically rather than the way Polk did it, although at the time SDA was less fussy than Carver's earlier Sonic Hologram circuit.

Thread Information