werthliving.com

Thread: Connect computer to pioneer reciever

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Default Connect computer to pioneer reciever

werthliving.com

Pioneer vsx-1021-k, HP multimedia computer, currently have it connected directly to my gt50 via VGA. the computer has a DVI connection and have located a DVI to HDMI converter. Can I connect this directly to my receiver. Sent a email to pioneer but haven't heard back yet. Lots of work to get this done so would like to know its going to work before I attempt it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,745 Times in 1,461 Posts

Default Re: Connect computer to pioneer reciever

Quote Originally Posted by MCS View Post
    Pioneer vsx-1021-k, HP multimedia computer, currently have it connected directly to my gt50 via VGA. the computer has a DVI connection and have located a DVI to HDMI converter. Can I connect this directly to my receiver. Sent a email to pioneer but haven't heard back yet. Lots of work to get this done so would like to know its going to work before I attempt it.
    Digital Visual Interface (DVI) is a video display interface developed by the Digital Display Working Group (DDWG). The digital interface is used to connect a video source to a display device, such as a computer monitor. It was developed with the intention of creating an industry standard for the transfer of digital video content.

The interface is designed to transmit uncompressed digital video and can be configured to support multiple modes such as DVI-D (digital only), DVI-A (analog only), or DVI-I (digital and analog). Featuring support for analog connections, the DVI specification is compatible with the VGA interface.[1] This compatibility, along with other advantages, led to its widespread acceptance over competing digital display standards Plug and Display (P&D) and Digital Flat Panel (DFP).[2] Although DVI is predominantly associated with computers, it is sometimes used in other consumer electronics such as television sets, video game consoles and DVD players.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

DVI is a Video transmission line and not audio transfer. You'll have to use a audio connection for sound reproduction.
    Sent from my Fisher Price touch&talk~using ITouchmyself II
    LG OLED 55B6P ~SonyXBR929~Oppo UDP203~Denon 3311~Mirage V2 SPK-SYS w/ S10 SW~ DVP5000~Harmony1100
    Cablevision Optimum via Scientific Atlantic 8300HDDVR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ImRizzo For This Useful Post:

MCS (03-12-2014)

Casual HD User
    Thanks

What your saying is it will work for the display if I convert it a HDMI plug and go directly into my receiver, but I would then have to also bring the audio in on a different path, that wold make things more difficult. Do they make a converter from DVI and audio to HDMI that would resolve the problem. Or if I just went to RCA connections that should work as well then. Thoughts

I do have a set of Monster cables laying around that would do the job. Need to look on the back of the puter to see if I got RCA connections for video first though, I know there is audio

Casual HD User
    Thanks

How about this configuration, its just fantastic what you can find on the internet these days.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

I may still have a second HDMI cable in the wall already, so I can also by pass the receiver if need be.

Thanks

How about this configuration, its just fantastic what you can find on the internet these days.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

I may still have a second HDMI cable in the wall already, so I can also by pass the receiver if need be.
    That device will provide you with Video and STEREO sound only, not 5.1 or sound surround.
    LG OLED 55B6P ~SonyXBR929~Oppo UDP203~Denon 3311~Mirage V2 SPK-SYS w/ S10 SW~ DVP5000~Harmony1100

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ImRizzo For This Useful Post:

MCS (03-12-2014)

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

If the stereo signal were Dolby Surround encoded, he would be able to use Dolby Pro Logic to obtain 4.0 surround. It's not an ideal solution, though. A similar box with a digital audio input would be better.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MDRiggs For This Useful Post:

MCS (03-12-2014)

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Thanks MDRIGGS, great news.

I had a few reasons why I wanted to do this, one is when you put a signal to a 60" tv with a VGA cable its not the best way to cruise the internet. Text can be very blurry. Second we got Directv but an older DVR unit that will not allow more than 2 shows to be recorded at once. The TV will stream on its own, but it is clunky.

Thanks

Before we go off down the rabbit hole with workarounds, what is the model of your HP and the model of the graphics card in the computer?
    Most modern PCs will have an HDMI port and/or a DisplayPort (which can usually then be adapted to HDMI). Also some AMD/ATI graphics cards have a DVI port that can be adapted (with a special adapter) to HDMI that carries sound, a normal DVI port can't of course.

I've connected quite a few PCs to receivers/TVs in the past when I was a big a home theater PC enthusiast.

If you're only choice is DVI then you should be able to also run digital audio from your PC into an optical/coxial input (though again the HP model number will help, many desktop PCs have digital audio outs, but many don't too) and set it up as a pair in the receiver's menu.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SpHeRe31459 For This Useful Post:

MCS (03-12-2014)

Recreational Alcohol User Ntruder's Avatar
    Thanks

One problem I see...

If you're using DVI as the output from the PC to the AVR, you're sending only the video, which means you need to output audio separately to the AVR. The problem is, the AVR only has a single digital tuner, so it can only handle one digital signal at a time. This means you can't use a digital audio output from the PC; it has to be analog.

You'd be better off sending the DVI straight to your TV via an HDMI/DVI cable, and then running digital audio to your AVR from your PC. You'd have to switch the TV input and the AVR input to get to it (not a problem if you have a Harmony remote) but it will work fine

Otherwise, you could invest in a better video card that has an HDMI output
    Panasonic 65" VT60

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ntruder For This Useful Post:

MCS (03-12-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ntruder View Post
    One problem I see...

If you're using DVI as the output from the PC to the AVR, you're sending only the video, which means you need to output audio separately to the AVR. The problem is, the AVR only has a single digital tuner, so it can only handle one digital signal at a time. This means you can't use a digital audio output from the PC; it has to be analog.

You'd be better off sending the DVI straight to your TV via an HDMI/DVI cable, and then running digital audio to your AVR from your PC. You'd have to switch the TV input and the AVR input to get to it (not a problem if you have a Harmony remote) but it will work fine

Otherwise, you could invest in a better video card that has an HDMI output
    That sounds like the best solution ...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ImRizzo For This Useful Post:

MCS (03-12-2014)

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Haven't pulled the model number yet, never looked at the graphics card either. It is probably 6 yrs old, had built in wifi but required the antennae that screws on the back. HP multimedia is all I got right now. Thought about getting HDMI card, still may do that.

Thanks

May I ask what you hope to achieve by having the PC connected to the TV? If its 6 years old, it surely isn't PC gaming. And since the GT50 has apps, that eliminates Netflix and Hulu and such. Which leaves web browser, and for that, there are many considerations, including how you're going to use a mouse and keyboard from a couch, etc. Its no small feat, having a functioning PC setup on a TV that isn't at a desk. I've got probably $1500 in my theater room gaming PC setup, not counting special theater chairs with small tables for a mouse
    Panasonic 65" VT60

Casual HD User
    Thanks

I just want to point out that computer DVI output can carry the same audio as HDMI. My current GTX660 card outputs audio over DVI to the HDMI input on my Pioneer VSX-21TXH using a plain DVI->HDMI cable. Good thing, too, because I need to use its DisplayPort output for my computer monitor, which leaves the choice between HDMI and DVI outputs for the TV. If I use HDMI, it takes priority over DisplayPort for the boot process, but the TV is usually off, and I don't want to have to turn it on every time I want to boot my gaming PC, and I'd have to in order to enter my TrueCrypt password. Using DVI avoids this problem, as the GTX660 displays the boot process on DisplayPort when the TV is connected to DVI. Another nice feature of the GTX660 is that it has eliminated the Silent Stream Bug, which was alive and well in the GTX460 it replaced. Still another is that the new card downclocks all the way with two displays attached, whereas previous cards would not.

ISTR old ATI cards required the use of a special dongle supplied with the cards to enable audio over DVI, but no idea about current cards, nor do I know when Nvidia started to enable this feature in its cards, or if they ever required a special dongle.

If you can't get audio out your DVI port, your best bet is to use S/PDIF from motherboard to receiver. This will give you DD5.1 and DTS, but it won't give you the lossless multichannel formats. I do this with my HTPC and connect it directly to the TV for video for a number of reasons. It won't work for my gaming PC, however, at least not if I want digital multichannel audio. Without Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect, it's 5.1 LPCM, and S/PDIF can't carry it. That's why I have to connect my gaming PC to the AVR using HDMI, though it's DVI at the card as previously described. The last resort would be the old 5.1 analog cables.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    I just want to point out that computer DVI output can carry the same audio as HDMI. My current GTX660 card outputs audio over DVI to the HDMI input on my Pioneer VSX-21TXH using a plain DVI->HDMI cable.
    I mentioned that in my post, however it's not an 100% thing, some cards/generations will do it, some wont. I don't believe Intel has ever supported audio over HDMI via a DVI port if he has integrated video.

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Not sure what you mean. The receiver doesn't have a digital tuner. There's no reason it couldn't accept digital video via DVI and coaxial or optical digital audio simultaneously, if those two inputs could be paired. The video and audio use different circuits.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MDRiggs View Post
    Not sure what you mean. The receiver doesn't have a digital tuner. There's no reason it couldn't accept digital video via DVI and coaxial or optical digital audio simultaneously, if those two inputs could be paired. The video and audio use different circuits.
    You can't do it... They don't let you pair two digital inputs to a single digital output; HDMI and digital coax, or HDMI and optical. My assumption is that the AVR can only process one digital signal at a time. (*edit*: I believe in my AVR you can assign multiple digi-inputs to a single AVR input, but it doesn't work. I've assigned audio from digi-coax and video from HDMI to a single AVR input, but one of them just doesn't work; either no picture or no sound)

I was saying it only has one "digital tuner" for lack of a better term. I have a $900 Pioneer Elite AVR, and if my Pioneer Elite can't output two digital signals at once, I can pretty much guarantee the non-Elite vsx-1021-k can't either. I've also got a cheaper Onkyo receiver and its the same way; you can't pair up two digital inputs to a single output.

The solution is to run your video directly from your source to the TV, and run your audio from the source to the AVR. The downside is you have to change your TV input along with your AVR input, but if you have a Harmony remote, it does it for you so its no big deal.

Same thing with TV's that have PIP/split screen. That's kinda why Picture in Picture went away; you can't PIP two HDMI inputs, so PIP on TV's became useless when everything went digital. DirecTV receivers have multiple tuners, so they can do PIP with multiple digital channels, but its outputted via one output, so its all the same to the TV
    Panasonic 65" VT60

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Okay. Digital video and digital audio signals always wind up being processed separately, even if they are delivered together via the same connection (e.g., HDMI). So if you can't get the receiver to take the video from an HDMI input and the audio from a coax or optical input, it's just an (unsurprising) configuration limitation. If the designers had anticipated a need for the functionality, they could have made the receiver capable of doing it without too much trouble and no additional hardware.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MDRiggs View Post
    Okay. Digital video and digital audio signals always wind up being processed separately, even if they are delivered together via the same connection (e.g., HDMI). So if you can't get the receiver to take the video from an HDMI input and the audio from a coax or optical input, it's just an (unsurprising) configuration limitation. If the designers had anticipated a need for the functionality, they could have made the receiver capable of doing it without too much trouble and no additional hardware.
    Well, whatever the reason is, it has always been the case in my experience, that you can't pair digital audio with an HDMI video input.
    Panasonic 65" VT60

Thanks

Well, whatever the reason is, it has always been the case in my experience, that you can't pair digital audio with an HDMI video input.
    My Denon AVR-590 (i.e. 1610) does allow it, in a menu called "Input Mode". Per-input, you can override the default of using HDMI audio and tell it to use a digital audio input for this exact scenario (someone connecting a DVI device via a DVI to HDMI adapter).

I also just checked the manual for a modern Denon from their website, and they still offer the functionality.

Thread Information