werthliving.com

Thread: Should I switch to 4ohms????

Thanks

Default Should I switch to 4ohms????

werthliving.com

I have the Mirage OS3 series speakers(miragespeakers.com) which can do 4ohms minimum and 8ohms, my yamaha receiver seems to do more watts per channel in 4ohms than 8ohms, should i switch to 4ohms or just leave it at 8ohms?

HDJ Platinum Club Member gadgtfreek's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,043 Times in 2,360 Posts

Default Re: Should I switch to 4ohms????

As the speaker dips, the amp will output more. Many times if you put an AVR in 4ohm mode, like Onkyo, it actually limits power to protect the AVR. Im not sure how the Yammie works though.

A lot of folks with Onkyo's leave them in 6ohm+ mode even when running 4ohm speakers simply for that reason.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gadgtfreek For This Useful Post:

mytime (03-15-2014)

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mon2479 View Post
    I have the Mirage OS3 series speakers(miragespeakers.com) which can do 4ohms minimum and 8ohms, my yamaha receiver seems to do more watts per channel in 4ohms than 8ohms, should i switch to 4ohms or just leave it at 8ohms?
    Speaker impedance actually varies with frequency, so the impedance spec is just an approximation. Some manufacturers also tell you the lowest impedance the speaker reaches over the audio frequency range. An amplifier will deliver more power into a lower impedance than into a higher one (because the lower impedance draws greater current for a given voltage output). But when a receiver has an 8-ohm/4-ohm switch, the purpose of the 4-ohm setting is to protect the receiver's output stage from damage that could be caused by excessive current flow. They almost always work by lowering the receiver's maximum voltage output in the 4-ohm setting, which in turn reduces the maximum power it can deliver. Unless your speakers' rated nominal (not minimum) impedance is 4 ohms, or you're having problems with the receiver shutting itself down, you'll get maximum performance with the 8-ohm setting.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MDRiggs For This Useful Post:

mytime (03-15-2014)

Thanks

Thanks

Thread Information