werthliving.com

Thread: Familly wants surround sound, but 1 member wears hearing aids and can't listen

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Default Familly wants surround sound, but 1 member wears hearing aids and can't listen

werthliving.com

I'll bet there is a way, but I'm trying to help a friend set up his basement that is about to be finished with surround sound. He and has his kids really want surround sound, but the only kicker is is wife has hearing aids and surround sound will drive her nuts. I have to assume there is a device that she can wear that will allow her to hear the movie while the others listen in surround sound, but I'm just not sure where to start?

Cany anyone help or at least point me in the right direction?

THanks...
    Last edited by bassett72; 04-21-2014 at 11:26 AM.

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Familly wants surround sound, but 1 member wears hearing aids and can't listen

Headphones might be the answer. You would want over-the-ear models that provide good isolation. Does the TV have a headphone jack? That might do the trick. If not, if the receiver has dual-zone capability, you could connect a headphone amp to the stereo line outputs for the second zone.

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Default Re: Familly wants surround sound, but 1 member wears hearing aids and can't listen

The receiver does not have dual zone, and the TV does not have a headphone jack. What about htis. I use a digital coax & optical toslink to R/L stereo audio converter so I can then use that to hook up a set of wireless headphones?

Any other thoughts for folks using ALDs?

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

That should work, as long as the TV has a digital audio output and the HDMI feed to the TV carries an audio format it can understand. (That probably limits you to PCM and Dolby Digital.) Make sure the TV is set to deliver PCM on the digital output.
    Last edited by MDRiggs; 04-23-2014 at 10:12 AM.

HDJ Platinum Club Member Bobler's Avatar
    Thanks

The only other thing to think about for wireless headphones will be the power. I use wireless headphones for late night use and the ones I use need to get power via USB. Luckliy, the TV has a few USB ports as well as a digital out, so the TV served as the audio source. TOSlink to the headphone transmitter and USB to the TV for power. I did find some gaming headphones designed for PC gaming from Turtle Beach that have worked out very well. They are over the ear headphones. Your wife will want to go try some on just to be sure of the comfort factor with her hearing aids. Hope this helps.

Thread Information