werthliving.com

Thread: Does anyone know if Yamaha makes a 5.1 receiver that will allow you to use the HDMI..

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Default Does anyone know if Yamaha makes a 5.1 receiver that will allow you to use the HDMI..

werthliving.com

…Ports as a switch box without the Receiver turned on? I heard they exist, and if not Yamaha, does Onkyo or Denon?

Does this make sense?

So, if I plug the DVD, Cable box, XBOX, and PS3 into the inputs on the receiver, can I use them without the receiver being on if lets say I just want to watch TV through the TV speakers and not always have our receiver on while doing so….

Thanks

Default Re: Does anyone know if Yamaha makes a 5.1 receiver that will allow you to use the HD

Quote Originally Posted by bassett72 View Post
    …Ports as a switch box without the Receiver turned on? I heard they exist, and if not Yamaha, does Onkyo or Denon?

Does this make sense?

So, if I plug the DVD, Cable box, XBOX, and PS3 into the inputs on the receiver, can I use them without the receiver being on if lets say I just want to watch TV through the TV speakers and not always have our receiver on while doing so….
    That's not a function I've seen supported. I think you'd use an external HDMI switch in that scenario.

However, if you're just interested in the scenario of having one input active with the receiver off, that's a common feature. It's called the standby passthrough feature. One designated HDMI input (usually the one called/assigned "TV" for a cable/sat box) will passthrough to your TV set while the receiver is in standby. Thereby letting you use the TV's speakers for that one input until you power up the receiver and then it takes back over audio duties.

EDIT: Actually see my next reply :-)
    Last edited by SpHeRe31459; 04-28-2014 at 11:48 PM.

Thanks

Default Re: Does anyone know if Yamaha makes a 5.1 receiver that will allow you to use the HD

Actually, I just checked out the manual for the newest line of Yamaha receivers. Starting with the RX-V477 (and higher) it not only supports standby passthrough in the way I described, but the manual for it says you can use it for HDMI switching while in standby too! So yep Yamaha makes exactly what you're looking for :-)
    They call it "Standby Through" in their manuals. It's a feature on the all but the lowest end model.

Casual HD User
    Thanks

SpHeRe31459, you are a lifesaver! This is EXACTLY what we are looking for. Now, I just need to find the lowest end 5.1 model that has it. If you by chance would have that information, please post it. Either way, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Casual HD User
    Thanks

OK, update…..I think I found the 2 that would work. NOW, the question is, do I go with the HTR-4066 or the RX-V475? Please advise! I appreciate it…

Thanks

OK, update…..I think I found the 2 that would work. NOW, the question is, do I go with the HTR-4066 or the RX-V475? Please advise! I appreciate it…
    The HTR-4066 and RX-V 475 are last years models and basically the same receiver, Yamaha makes the same basic receiver and brands them as "HTR" and "RX-V". So take your pick based on which one you can find the cheapest. You'll often see the HTR at warehouse stores, while the RX-V is at Best Buy, etc.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...product_lineup
    http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...product_lineup

If you really want to do it on the cheap you can get the HTR-4066 refurbished here:
    http://www.accessories4less.com/make...rx-v475/1.html

People usually have good luck getting refurbs from Accessories4Less, they're an official refurbished dealer for a bunch of audio brands.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SpHeRe31459 For This Useful Post:

GOS (04-29-2014)

Casual HD User
    Thanks

It looks like the RX-V477 is the new version of this. Is there ANY reason I would want to spend the extra $100? It looks like the 477 has a "extra bass" feature and 1 extra HDMI, but apart from that, not much else.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 2,142 Posts

Probably not - especially if you're trying to keep cost down.

It looks like the RX-V477 is the new version of this. Is there ANY reason I would want to spend the extra $100? It looks like the 477 has a "extra bass" feature and 1 extra HDMI, but apart from that, not much else.
    Denon AVR-X4000 * Harmony ONE
    Klipsch RF-82 II front * RC3 center * RP3 surrounds * KEF HTS1001 rear
    Rythmik Audio DS1501 CI sub
    Oppo BDP-103
    Samsung LN46B550 LCD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GOS View Post
    Probably not - especially if you're trying to keep cost down.
    Agreed.

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Thanks guys, I pulled the trigger on the RX-V477..

Thanks
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 2,142 Posts

Nice.....new stuff rules.
    Denon AVR-X4000 * Harmony ONE
    Klipsch RF-82 II front * RC3 center * RP3 surrounds * KEF HTS1001 rear
    Rythmik Audio DS1501 CI sub
    Oppo BDP-103
    Samsung LN46B550 LCD

Thread Information