werthliving.com

Thread: In ceiling speakers with no inceiling mains

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Default In ceiling speakers with no inceiling mains

werthliving.com

Hello, currently I have a 5.1 set up with all in ceiling speakers. My avr is capable of 7.1. I wanted to know if I get non ceiling speakers for mains will the system sound right leaving the others in ceiling? I would of course disconnect the in ceiling center one so that way it will just be a 7.1 set up.

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Default Re: In ceiling speakers with no inceiling mains

Not totally sure I understand what you're planning. In general, going with something other than ceiling speakers for the main speakers (front left, center, and right) would be a good thing. That would mean disconnecting the front left, center, and right ceiling speakers you're currently using. But unless you were to add a pair of back surround speakers, you would still have a 5.1-channel setup.

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MDRiggs View Post
    Not totally sure I understand what you're planning. In general, going with something other than ceiling speakers for the main speakers (front left, center, and right) would be a good thing. That would mean disconnecting the front left, center, and right ceiling speakers you're currently using. But unless you were to add a pair of back surround speakers, you would still have a 5.1-channel setup.
    I plan on buying bookshelf or floor standing mains and disconnect my center in ceiling speaker that way I can use the in ceiling L,R as heights and also use the in ceiling surrounds to make it a 7.1 system.

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

For height channels, you will need Dolby Pro Logic IIz in your receiver -- PLIIx will give you back surrounds but not height channels.

Casual HD User
    Thanks

It might be better in my case to use floor mains with 4 in ceiling for 7.1 content. I just dont know how the mix will sound.

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Floor mains should certainly be an improvement, assuming they're good speakers. Again, though, the front ceiling speakers will be useful to you in this configuration only if your receiver has Dolby PLIIz to generate height channels. PLIIx doesn't do height channels -- only the three main front channels, surround, and back surround (which is also what you get on actual 7.1-channel soundtracks).

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MDRiggs View Post
    Floor mains should certainly be an improvement, assuming they're good speakers. Again, though, the front ceiling speakers will be useful to you in this configuration only if your receiver has Dolby PLIIz to generate height channels. PLIIx doesn't do height channels -- only the three main front channels, surround, and back surround (which is also what you get on actual 7.1-channel soundtracks).
    I understand but cant I use them as a 7.1 set up for when there is 7.1 content instead of just for heights with PLIIx?

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by asere View Post
    I understand but cant I use them as a 7.1 set up for when there is 7.1 content instead of just for heights with PLIIx?
    No (and you need PLIIz for heights, not PLIIx). They're in the wrong place. They would need to be at the back of the room, not the front. Here are a couple of examples of proper 7.1 speaker layout: http://www.uniquehardware.ca/reviews/intimus7.1/7.1.png and http://www.buzzharvest.com/bhwp/wp-c...07/71-copy.jpg.

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Yeah if thats the case I might as well keep everything in ceiling. I would hate having to spend more on mains and not be able to use the in ceiling ones I currently have for mains.

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Well, getting the mains out of the ceiling would probably improve the sound.

Thread Information