werthliving.com

Thread: Requesting recommendations on new speaker set

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Default Requesting recommendations on new speaker set

werthliving.com

You guys helped me pick my Outlaw sub awhile back (which has been awesome) so I'm coming back for more opinions.

My lady friend has been trying forever to get me to downsize from my PSB Image Towers, Center, and Surrounds. For years I've scoffed at the notion but lately I've been thinking getting some smaller QUALITY stuff maybe isn't such a bad idea.

I have a Newegg acct with interest free financing so ideally would like to buy from there. It's been awhile since I've done some in depth research and wondered what anyone thought about a good bookshelf, center, surround combo. They have some seemingly decent deals on Definitive Technology stuff as well as Klipsch but remember hearing those brands might be a bit overrated.

Budget will depend on how much I can get for my PSB's (anyone interested?) but will likely be 800 or less.. I have a Denon receiver and Outlaw LFM-1 EX which aren't going anywhere. I'd imagine I don't have to get top of the line fronts seeing as how the bass will be coming from the sub.
    Last edited by pac2566; 06-09-2014 at 09:25 PM.

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Default Re: Requesting recommendations on new speaker set

So this forum kinda slowed down then, huh? Oh well.. you guys helped me with the sub so I'm indebted.

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

PSB makes excellent speakers in a wide range of sizes, as does Paradigm. I probably wouldn't buy a Definitive Technology sub, but their other speakers are generally quite good. Klipsch is a good brand, although the sound is a little forward and brash for my taste. Who else? Infinity, NHT, Revel (pricey but among the very best).

Casual HD User
    Thanks

All it takes is 1 answer.. NHT hadn't been on my radar but I've been researching the last couple days and really like what I see. It also fits in with my agenda of trying to buy on Newegg as they're available there.

Thanks! I'm going with the NHT's Classic Two's for fronts and center then choosing from their smaller speakers for surrounds.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,746 Times in 1,462 Posts

the Definitive tech's Mythos series are excellent speakers and also at NewEggs with varying price ranges

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...521&isNodeId=1
    Sent from my Fisher Price touch&talk~using ITouchmyself II
    LG OLED 55B6P ~SonyXBR929~Oppo UDP203~Denon 3311~Mirage V2 SPK-SYS w/ S10 SW~ DVP5000~Harmony1100
    Cablevision Optimum via Scientific Atlantic 8300HDDVR

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Yeah I stumbled across those last night and they look great but they're out of my price range.

I almost hit submit on the NHT's but at the last second felt as if my research hadn't been thorough enough. Kind of glad I did because I wound up remembering the HSU brand and they have sets with exceptional reviews for about half of what the NHT's would have cost. I already sold my PSB towers so I can simply use that money to buy a set of MK2's.

Now my only problem is deciding on surrounds as I need something small and obscure. The NHT wall speakers are perfect but then I worry if 2 different brands will have any kind of negative effect.

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

The more the speakers in the system sound alike the better, and usually the best way to achieve that is with all from the same maker. This matters less with surrounds vs. fronts, however, in part because the surrounds contribute so much less. So as long as the design philosophy and approach is similar, you can usually mix brands without losing too much (theaters do this all the time, and I did it in my previous system). And good speakers tend to be more alike than they used to be. That said, I know HSU makes good speakers but have never heard them, so I don't know exactly how they compare to the NHTs.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 2,142 Posts

I agree with Riggs. I have had different surrounds and been quite pleased with the sound. Though, I admit, when I matched my Klipsch fronts with my older tower Klipsch for surround....I was blown away at the difference. Particularly in high rez surround music. This is where I noticed a startling difference.
    Denon AVR-X4000 * Harmony ONE
    Klipsch RF-82 II front * RC3 center * RP3 surrounds * KEF HTS1001 rear
    Rythmik Audio DS1501 CI sub
    Oppo BDP-103
    Samsung LN46B550 LCD

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Klipsch has a relatively distinctive sound, though.

Thanks

I really like the way my Klipsch sound
    "Turn On...Tune In...Drop Out"
    in Memory of Dr. Timothy Leary, PhD (1920-1996)

Steve Jobs dropped LCD and created The Macintosh 128K in 1984

TundraGeeks.com

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sprkeng View Post
    I really like the way my Klipsch sound
    The point was just that Klipsch speakers have a fairly distinct sound relative to most other brands, making it harder to use them successfully in a mixed system. You can do this pretty well with some others, however -- Paradigm fronts and PSB surrounds, for example, or vice versa.

Casual HD User
    Thanks

gone full circle and am now locked in on Def Tech SM55's for fronts with the accompanying center and Mythos XTR 20's for surrounds. From the looks of it I should be able to find a pair of the mythos for close to what I could have gotten the NHT Wall speakers for.

The 55's are a bit smaller and more aesthetically pleasing than most of their peers. They also seem to be able to perform very similarly if not better than most (in that price range). The Mythos for surrounds just look bad ass. No way the wife can complain and if she does then her gripes are being filed in the too effin' bad bin.
    Last edited by pac2566; 06-18-2014 at 01:27 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,746 Times in 1,462 Posts

If you have the opportunity to audition a set of Mirage OS3 please do so before you commit yourself their omni-directional sound dispersion, creates an amazing soundfield
    Sent from my Fisher Price touch&talk~using ITouchmyself II
    LG OLED 55B6P ~SonyXBR929~Oppo UDP203~Denon 3311~Mirage V2 SPK-SYS w/ S10 SW~ DVP5000~Harmony1100
    Cablevision Optimum via Scientific Atlantic 8300HDDVR

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Thanks for the recommendation but much of the revamped system is already ordered and my stubbornness with finding the best deal humanly possible is paying off. Got a pair of Def Tech 55 refurbs for $341 delivered. No warranty but seller on ebay gives you 90 days to return and he's been selling def tech products for years. He's been mentioned numerous times on the av forum many of whom have extolled his virtues.

Found a seemingly amazing deal on ebay and won an auction for 1 single Mythos xtr 20b surround for $80 total delivered (normally 229 each). This speaker is listed as new and upon receipt I'll call def tech and verify the authenticity. If it's a dud I'll get my money back as ebay has the guarantee...

I've been so excited I got a little ahead of myself and decided that if I'm getting new speakers, they should be paired with a new receiver... So 3 days of research later landed on the Onkyo 818 with Audessy Multi XT32, video upscaling, etc etc. It's gotten overwhelmingly positive reviews and while it was $1100 when it came out in 2012, I got it new for 650 the other day. This receiver appears to be a huge step up from my Denon 1712.

So at this point all that's left is the Def Tech 8040HD center, and one more Mythos for a surround. Really excited to see what the Audessy XT32 will do with all the new speakers and my Outlaw LFM EX.

The best thing is that a good percentage of my new purchases are being funded by selling off my old equipment. When all is said and done I'll probably only be down the cost of the receiver.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 2,142 Posts

That sounds exciting, great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Denon AVR-X4000 * Harmony ONE
    Klipsch RF-82 II front * RC3 center * RP3 surrounds * KEF HTS1001 rear
    Rythmik Audio DS1501 CI sub
    Oppo BDP-103
    Samsung LN46B550 LCD

Thread Information