werthliving.com

Thread: Vizio P Series

Thanks
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 2,142 Posts

Default Vizio P Series

werthliving.com

Budget priced 4K LCD panel. Nice write up on CNET.

VIZIO
    Denon AVR-X4000 * Harmony ONE
    Klipsch RF-82 II front * RC3 center * RP3 surrounds * KEF HTS1001 rear
    Rythmik Audio DS1501 CI sub
    Oppo BDP-103
    Samsung LN46B550 LCD

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GOS For This Useful Post:

SpHeRe31459 (10-24-2014)

Thanks

Default Re: Vizio P Series

Yikes, Vizio's trying to justify a person buying an UltraHDTV too hard there:

Overly aggressive video processing with both HD and 4K sources makes the P series' picture too sharp and unrealistic, as well as punching up highlights and introducing artifacts. Competing 4K TVs offer better color and a more natural image, especially prior to picture setting calibration.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpHeRe31459 View Post
    Yikes, Vizio's trying to justify a person buying an UltraHDTV too hard there:
    Absolutely! That statement in the review should be enough to scare most away I might think.
    Oppo BDP-103
    Samsung LN46B550 LCD

Thanks

Further into the review it is strongly hinted at that Vizio will update their software on the TV to turn down and/or allow disabling of all the image processing. I'm sure Katzmaier immediately called up Vizio and told them to knock that stuff off. So hopefully Vizio actually responds in a timely manner about it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,745 Times in 1,461 Posts

This is the VIZIO top of the line reference series that dazzled lotsa people at CES no price hints yet but suggested at 7K + it's got a lotta shit going for it. Vizio put all their effort into this set hopping to light a fire in the Flat Panel industry ....I'm hopping for their success, it would benefit a lot of us who are not into that 10K+ neighborhood yet. It was blowing away reviewers at the show.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4I6gVeElP0

http://www.vizio.com/r-series
    Sent from my Fisher Price touch&talk~using ITouchmyself II
    LG OLED 55B6P ~SonyXBR929~Oppo UDP203~Denon 3311~Mirage V2 SPK-SYS w/ S10 SW~ DVP5000~Harmony1100
    Cablevision Optimum via Scientific Atlantic 8300HDDVR

Thanks

I saw it at a BB and it looked pretty damn good.
    RIP STEVEN 12/26/2013

HDJ Platinum Club Member gadgtfreek's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,043 Times in 2,360 Posts

From my reading, anything but the 55" hs great blacks (it is IPS). but the others dont seem to calibrate as accurately. Then the video processing issues. End of the day, it is a helluva deal for a 70" UHD tv.

Thanks

Ouch, HD Guru rips the P-series a new one:

http://hdguru.com/vizio-4k-ultra-hig...ew/#more-14529

Lots of video processing problems, terrible 480i handling. And it clips below black and above white.

Thanks

The CNet review has been modified since the original but is still full of errors. None of the reviewers have taken the time to thoroughly investigate the P series because there are several anomalies that can only be discovered with time consuming effort. I've had both a P55 and a P60 in my house and know all the nuances. You can see lots of the details here, posts 2 & 3.

Katzmaier's published graphs are the result of an inept calibration attempt. The Grayscale and Gamma of both the P series VA and IPS panels calibrate perfectly IF you know what the panels are doing, every bit as accurately as a VT60.

I sent the P55 back due to IPS panel problems and had to give up the P60 because I was running out of freebie return time and didn't trust any fixes coming up in future firmware (remembering the Sharp Elite). My advice is to wait and see if FW can fix the real problems they have. If they get the problems ironed out they are bargains. I had the P60 side by side with my 65VT60 and except for slightly undersaturated color (VA panel only) the picture on the P60 was every bit as enjoyable as the VT60. In fact, blacks were better although ever so slightly crushed in the bottom 1 or 2%.

It did bother me, however, that the series was introduced 10 months ago at CES and they released them with problems that the engineers must have been aware of....
    Last edited by buzzard767; 11-02-2014 at 08:52 AM.
    Buzz
    THX Certified Video Calibrator

Discounts on LightSpace software, Klein Colorimeters. & eeColor Processors - Naples Display Calibration

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buzzard767 For This Useful Post:

davidjschenk (11-10-2014), SpHeRe31459 (11-02-2014)

Thanks

Wow, great comments buzz
    Oppo BDP-103
    Samsung LN46B550 LCD

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ImRizzo View Post
    This is the VIZIO top of the line reference series that dazzled lotsa people at CES no price hints yet but suggested at 7K + it's got a lotta shit going for it. Vizio put all their effort into this set hopping to light a fire in the Flat Panel industry ....I'm hopping for their success, it would benefit a lot of us who are not into that 10K+ neighborhood yet. It was blowing away reviewers at the show.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4I6gVeElP0

http://www.vizio.com/r-series

I'm still betting that's it's more likely that the Viz-R will either never be created, or have an extremely limited run. I'm betting "lucky" 1-off panels are common at shows. You never see panels with severe flashlighting or DSE at CES.

And I'm a little suspect of some of the statements from Vizio. Like 32 seconds into their little film they say: "it stands on beautifully crafted stainless steel machined for 72 hours and hand polished for up to 3 days." (Emphasis mine).

What?! First, 72 hours is 3 days, and even 20 seconds is "up to 3 days", and since when does a milling machine take 3 days to produce a bent piece of metal anyway? And they're going to task some poor grunt in foxconn (or somewhere) to hand rub that thing up to 3 days?

Thread Information