Casual HD User
    Thanks

Default adding centre channel to paradigm studio 60s

werthliving.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	7529I consulted with this forum when making first real speaker purchase and now i am back for more

Right now I have a 2.1 setup, two Paradigm Studio 60s, Rythmik Audio LV12R sub with a Denon x3100 AVR

I have a TV wall mounted in the corner of the condo, angled back facing a sectional couch. The speakers are along perpendicular walls equidistant from the TV, about 11ft apart with their trajectories meeting in the middle of the couch.

For music we are more than happy, love the speakers. However, we are running into typical issues with movies; background music is too loud and commentary/voice is too low (constantly turning volume up/down during movies). Since I wanted a 5.1 setup eventually anyway I was thinking of incrementally adding a center channel for the time being. Hopefully a Studio CC 490 if I can find one but more likely Prestige 45C.

However, I'm wondering if I should be playing around with the Denon's settings more to try and go for phantom center? A horizontal centre speaker would have to be flat against the wall, rather than jutting out into the room at 45 degrees (hope this makes sense), so I'm not sure if this would lead to major acoustic issues?

Would really appreciate some input
    Last edited by tdiddy; 05-24-2015 at 11:06 AM.

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Default Re: adding centre channel to paradigm studio 60s

Not sure what you mean by "flat against the wall." The center speaker would need to be parallel to the TV screen, so it would have to be athwart the corner, just like the TV. That should be fine acoustically, so it would just be a question of whether you liked the look. An alternative would be to use a vertical bookshelf speaker voiced as closely as possible to the Studio 60s -- a Studio 20 would be ideal but a Prestige 15B probably would be a reasonable alternative. If you want to stick with phantom center, using a compressed setting ("Night Mode") for soundtracks might help with the level issues.

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Thank for the feedback! I attached a photo to make it easier to understand (if we are watching a movie will often swivel the TV out from the wall more than pictured) If the centre channel is on a shelf then it would jut into the room too much if it were in plane with the L and R speakers. Perhaps a bookshelf on a stand would be the way to go (or a centre on a stand)... too bad they discontinued the Studio line!

I think I will try turning up the dynamic compression and see how much that helps.

HDJ Platinum Club Member gadgtfreek's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,043 Times in 2,360 Posts

I'd put another studio 60 right where the plant is and run it as the center. Three matching towers make a great front stage, but most can't do it because they need a smaller more flat center to go over/under a display. You are perfectly setup for this.

If you can't find one used, talk to Paradigm and there their recommendation for another tower. If not you could always go the traditional center route. I highly recommend a center for movies. Get the most powerful one you can too, most of you activity happens there.

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Prelim search for a single studio 60 doesn't find much, so assuming I end up going with a prestige model, my options would be:

Prestige 75F ($1650) tower, Prestige 15B ($850 + stand) or the centre channel 45C ($1450 + stand)

The high + mid frequency drivers appear to be exactly the same on the 75F and 15B from the specs and the sub would cover the lower freq anyway? I'd save a bit of money. On the other hand the 75F is probably the closest match to the 60s overall...

I have asked a paradigm rep the same question see what they say.

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tdiddy View Post
    Thank for the feedback! I attached a photo to make it easier to understand (if we are watching a movie will often swivel the TV out from the wall more than pictured) If the centre channel is on a shelf then it would jut into the room too much if it were in plane with the L and R speakers. Perhaps a bookshelf on a stand would be the way to go (or a centre on a stand)... too bad they discontinued the Studio line!
    Okay, the pic really helps. How far out does the screen come when you swivel it out? As long as the TV doesn't get out in front of the midrange and tweeter, you could probably still wall-mount a three-way horizontal center right under the TV. Otherwise, you could put a center or bookshelf on a tall stand or even another tower under the TV. In a setup like yours, you would not want the three speakers in the same plane.

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Paradigm saw picture and my concerns re horizontal axis and still recommended 45C saying its better configured for vocal range, so I guess that is the official endorsement for what its worth...

we don't swivel it out too much (supposedly can go out to 50 degrees + but makes me nervous for the wall), very much on the fence at this point... almost leaning towards 45C with stand just in case we move into a home with a more traditional home theatre setup

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tdiddy View Post
    Prelim search for a single studio 60 doesn't find much, so assuming I end up going with a prestige model, my options would be:

Prestige 75F ($1650) tower, Prestige 15B ($850 + stand) or the centre channel 45C ($1450 + stand)

The high + mid frequency drivers appear to be exactly the same on the 75F and 15B from the specs and the sub would cover the lower freq anyway? I'd save a bit of money. On the other hand the 75F is probably the closest match to the 60s overall...
    Except at the bottom end, which your sub will be handling anyway, I expect you'd have a hard time telling the 75F and the 15B apart by ear. (Same for a Studio 60 versus a Studio 20.) The important question is which of Paradigm's current lines is the closest sonic match to the Studio line.

Casual HD User
    Thanks

I was in the same situation as you. I recently discovered that Paradigm have phased out the Studio line. I have a pair of Studio 60's v5 and was looking for a matching center channel. I've found a CC490 piano black matching my towers but unfortunately being a demo floor model, the seller noticed some irregularities in the bass when playing music. So I ended up with a CC590 in Ash Black finish, very heavy speaker with 7'' drivers. Keep in mind that the new Prestige line has similar specs but uses completely new drivers, thus you won't be a able to timbre match your fronts.
    [B][COLOR="#FFFFFF"][B][COLOR="#800080"][COLOR="#FFFFFF"][B][COLOR="#FFFFFF"][COLOR="#FFFFFF"][COLOR="#000000"]
    Blu-Ray Player: Oppo BDP-105D
    AVR: Pioneer Elite SC-57
    Towers: Paradigm Reference Studio 60 v.5
    Center: Paradigm Reference Studio CC590 V.5
    Surrounds:
    Subwoofer:

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

Timbre matching requires close frequency-response tracking between speakers, which can be achieved with different drivers if the engineers are meticulous (see, for example, three-way centers designed for use with two-way left/rights). Don't know in this case, though historically Paradigm has designed all speakers to the same targets, above the bass region at least.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MDRiggs For This Useful Post:

hidefamateur (06-02-2015)

Casual HD User
    Thanks

So I decided to go with 45C in the end. Arrived yesterday, pretty happy with it so far! I haven't noticed any issues with timbre matching (but I don't have the most discerning ear for this) Thanks for all the help

Getting ahead of myself a bit (I'll enjoy this 3.1 setup for some time), if I ever go ahead with surrounds as well, are the matching Paradigm 25S a bit overkill for the fronts? Seems a bit $$ to spend equal/more on surrounds than fronts right?

Would a cheaper alternative like NHT Absolute Zero kill the overall sound? With less than ideal room spacing and the fact that the surrounds would be really off axis perhaps the best option would be to just stick with 3.1?

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

One of the Paradigm Monitor Surrounds probably would do you nicely for reasonable dollars.

Casual HD User
    Thanks

Yeah the surround 1 looks like a good option, thanks

It my setup the surround L would be at ~80 degrees, 8.5' from ideal listening position (to the left behind couch in the corner in picture), surround R would be at ~130 degrees 5' from ideal listening position (behind wine fridge in picture)

Can Audyssey compensate for this degree of asymmetry or does it make going to 5.1 pointless? Ceiling/wall mounting is not an option

HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Thanks

The receiver or pre/pro can set levels and timing appropriately for the speaker locations. Some highly directional effects may not be rendered perfectly, because of the somewhat unusual positions of the surrounds relative to the listening area, but these are the exception rather than the rule. Surround mainly serves to create an appropriate sense of space and atmosphere. I expect you will find it beneficial.

Thread Information