werthliving.com

Thread: Too early to buy 4K TV?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 2,142 Posts

Default Too early to buy 4K TV?

werthliving.com

Hey fellow HDJ'ers....

So, I'm in a sort of a pickle with my stereo system. WE are remodeling our whole downstairs and as a result, I'm losing the room where my equipment is...but the good news is...I'm getting another room all to myself. The downside to that is...it's smaller than the one I was in...but with none of my wife's stuff in there...I have generally more placement considerations for my stuff...again, only in a smaller room. So, no lamps, no cabinets, or loveseats to block my speakers.

Biggest pickle is that my regular TV will stay in my wife's room to act as a "family" TV (not hooked up to my system) and I will need to get a new TV for my stereo room.

Been a long time since I've looked at TV's....my biggest question is...should I get a 4K? To cut right to the quick, I've got my eye on the VIZIO M65-C1 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED HDTV. I mean, for the money, it seems to be an exceptional value. No need to talk me into something different....I'm not looking for high end here. My buddy has the 55" version and the picture seems excellent to what I care. Better than my current.

Sooooo - all this talk in another thread about 2.2 compliant and all that jazz...means nothing to me. (in other words, I don't understand it)

Most of you know my equipment, but I'll list it again...

AVR - Denon X4000 (which claims to be 4K Ultra HD)
    BDP - Oppo 103
    DISH - Hopper
    Remote - Harmony ONE

With this equipment, if I were to buy the 4K TV...would I be able to view 4K content...if it were available? If it's a big NO, then I would probably save some bucks and get a non 4K set to get me by till things settle down. But....not really looking to buy a new AVR...but I guess longterm I would if that's what I need to do.

Hit me with the facts brothers...
    Thanks!!!
    Denon AVR-X4000 * Harmony ONE
    Klipsch RF-82 II front * RC3 center * RP3 surrounds * KEF HTS1001 rear
    Rythmik Audio DS1501 CI sub
    Oppo BDP-103
    Samsung LN46B550 LCD

Thanks

Default Re: Too early to buy 4K TV?

Quote Originally Posted by GOS View Post
    Been a long time since I've looked at TV's....my biggest question is...should I get a 4K? To cut right to the quick, I've got my eye on the VIZIO M65-C1 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED HDTV. I mean, for the money, it seems to be an exceptional value. No need to talk me into something different....I'm not looking for high end here. My buddy has the 55" version and the picture seems excellent to what I care. Better than my current.
    Yep the Vizio's seem to be a helluva deal.
    http://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-m-series-2015/

Sooooo - all this talk in another thread about 2.2 compliant and all that jazz...means nothing to me. (in other words, I don't understand it)
    Short version: without the latest HDMI version (2.0) and copy protection (HDCP 2.2), watching UltraHD stuff from an external box (i.e. Ultra HD Blu-ray player or some other external streaming box) is a no go.

Most of you know my equipment, but I'll list it again...

AVR - Denon X4000 (which claims to be 4K Ultra HD)

With this equipment, if I were to buy the 4K TV...would I be able to view 4K content...if it were available? If it's a big NO, then I would probably save some bucks and get a non 4K set to get me by till things settle down. But....not really looking to buy a new AVR...but I guess longterm I would if that's what I need to do.
    The Deon X4000 is a very early 4k/UltraHD receiver (HDMI 1.4), all it can do is pass through UltraHD at 30 fps max and it doesn't have HDCP 2.2 copy protection needed for new stuff.

That being said, right now the only source of UltraHD material is streaming, which means it comes from the TV's own internal streaming apps, so then it has no such limitations.

If you do care about UltraHD Blu-ray next year or whenever, it is expected that the nicer players will have dual HDMI outputs, one exclusively for audio, and then one for video. This would let you connect the video directly to the Vizio's port that's HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 compliant, and then with a second HDMI cable send the audio to the X4000.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SpHeRe31459 For This Useful Post:

GOS (08-23-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,745 Times in 1,461 Posts
    Sent from my Fisher Price touch&talk~using ITouchmyself II
    LG OLED 55B6P ~SonyXBR929~Oppo UDP203~Denon 3311~Mirage V2 SPK-SYS w/ S10 SW~ DVP5000~Harmony1100
    Cablevision Optimum via Scientific Atlantic 8300HDDVR

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ImRizzo For This Useful Post:

GOS (08-23-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpHeRe31459 View Post
    Yep the Vizio's seem to be a helluva deal.
    http://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-m-series-2015/

Short version: without the latest HDMI version (2.0) and copy protection (HDCP 2.2), watching UltraHD stuff from an external box (i.e. Ultra HD Blu-ray player or some other external streaming box) is a no go.

The Deon X4000 is a very early 4k/UltraHD receiver (HDMI 1.4), all it can do is pass through UltraHD at 30 fps max and it doesn't have HDCP 2.2 copy protection needed for new stuff.

That being said, right now the only source of UltraHD material is streaming, which means it comes from the TV's own internal streaming apps, so then it has no such limitations.

If you do care about UltraHD Blu-ray next year or whenever, it is expected that the nicer players will have dual HDMI outputs, one exclusively for audio, and then one for video. This would let you connect the video directly to the Vizio's port that's HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 compliant, and then with a second HDMI cable send the audio to the X4000.
    Thanks my man. So, let me whittle this down...If I get the Vizio, and keep my AVR, I would be able to stream 4K (correctly) if the app is on the Vizio (Netflix for example).
    But to play 4K Blu Ray, I'd have to get a new player...?? Or my OPPO 103 has the compliance??
    Oppo BDP-103
    Samsung LN46B550 LCD

Thanks

Thanks my man. So, let me whittle this down...If I get the Vizio, and keep my AVR, I would be able to stream 4K (correctly) if the app is on the Vizio (Netflix for example).
    Right.

But to play 4K Blu Ray, I'd have to get a new player...?? Or my OPPO 103 has the compliance??
    You'd have to get a new player anyway, Blu-ray UltraHD is a brand new standard with new tri-layer discs, etc.

Thanks

Vizio has released their 55" and 65" Flat screen LED 'R' series which has 3x's the led zones as my XBR 8 or my 929. I can't wait for it to hit the street.

http://www.highdefforum.com/ultra-hi...-r-series.html
    Last edited by SpHeRe31459; 08-29-2015 at 10:42 PM.
    LG OLED 55B6P ~SonyXBR929~Oppo UDP203~Denon 3311~Mirage V2 SPK-SYS w/ S10 SW~ DVP5000~Harmony1100

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ImRizzo View Post
    Vizio has released their 55" and 65" Flat screen LED 'R' series which has 3x's the led zones as my XBR 8 or my 929. I can't wait for it to hit the street.

http://www.highdefforum.com/ultra-hi...-r-series.html
    Ohh their Reference series finally materializes :-)

Thanks

anxious to hear pricing Robert is signed as an authorized R series displays so i'm imaging a premium price tag ?? $$$
    Quote Originally Posted by SpHeRe31459 View Post
    Ohh their Reference series finally materializes :-)

HDJ Platinum Club Member Disco Batman's Avatar
    Thanks

Been a long time since I posted, but I'm in the position of needing to buy a new TV. My Kuro 6020FD has started to have issues. Anytime the screen goes black it has this weird bleed on the left side of the screen, been happening for months and it's not getting better, also I'm seeing much more IR. I think she'll be dying soon.

So if I'm going to buy a new TV it seems to make sense to buy 4K, but I also don't want to spend a ton of money again. So I'm stuck between that Vizio M65-C1 and the Sony XBR65X800B.

Decisions, decisions.
    I own some stuff.

Thanks

tough time to make a choice, so many options, my preference is the OLED sets, unbelievable picture.

HDJ Platinum Club Member Disco Batman's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ImRizzo View Post
    tough time to make a choice, so many options, my preference is the OLED sets, unbelievable picture.

My budget isn't letting me go anywhere near an OLED set.
    I own some stuff.

Thanks

I hear ya

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Batman View Post
    My budget isn't letting me go anywhere near an OLED set.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Batman View Post
    Been a long time since I posted, but I'm in the position of needing to buy a new TV. My Kuro 6020FD has started to have issues. Anytime the screen goes black it has this weird bleed on the left side of the screen, been happening for months and it's not getting better, also I'm seeing much more IR. I think she'll be dying soon.

So if I'm going to buy a new TV it seems to make sense to buy 4K, but I also don't want to spend a ton of money again. So I'm stuck between that Vizio M65-C1 and the Sony XBR65X800B.

Decisions, decisions.
    Based on what I hear, both excellent sets really. Hey DB...how it goes?
    Oppo BDP-103
    Samsung LN46B550 LCD

Thread Information