werthliving.com

Thread: Disco's Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Review

HDJ Platinum Club Member Disco Batman's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Disco's Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Review

werthliving.com

Platform- PS3

Genre- Action Adventure

2007's Uncharted: Drakes Fortune is one of my favorite games of this current console generation. And really the first game that made me happy to own a PS3 for more than just a Blu player. If you haven't played the first Uncharted yet get off your tookus and do so. The first game introduced us to Nathan Drake, a high flying, wise cracking modern day Indiana Jones. It also introduced us to what were at the time the most amazing graphics seen on a gaming console. Uncharted not only gave us a pretty game, but it gave us great characters, top notch voice acting, and a truly high quality cinematic experience. It had it faults of course, most would say shooting gameplay that got repetetive, and I would agree. Everything else in the game made up for it, but there was certainly room to improve and make the sequel better should there be one. Thankfully the folks at Naughty Dog went to work on Drake's next adventure and they would truly out do themselves.

Uncharted 2 begins with Nathan Drake caught in a very precarious situation. You find out how you got in this situation through a series of playable flashbacks. From the get go Uncharted 2 assaults you with highly stylized gameplay, cinematic camera angles, and wonderful storytelling and it doesn't let up from there. I do not want to give away the story or run the risk of spoilers. So I will just say your quest you have set out on is to find Marco Polo's lost fleet and treasure. The Uncharted series can easily be compared to the Indiana Jones movies in that they are fictional stories that are based on real world lore and fact. So if you enjoy those films chances are you will enjoy the story here as well.

The gameplay consists of a few main elements...puzzle solving, gunplay, stealth action and lots of acrobatic climbing. Everything takes place from the third person point of view, which is a nice departure in a world full of first person Halo wannabee's. You can take cover behind and around elements in the environment to attack from a greater place of safety. If you play the game on easy or very easy difficulty, using cover and stealth kills become far less necessary. If you want more strategic gameplay at least play it on normal, it will force you to not just run around all willy nilly shooting everything. This is also a good time to mention the "Hint" system. If you are standing around in an area not sure what to do next the game will eventually offer you a hint, a little nudge in the right direction. If you are the sort of gamer that likes to figure out everything for himself/herself, then go into the option menu right away and turn hints off.

There is a multiplayer mode available as well that I did not put any time into. It is highly regarded by friends of mine and well reviewed on video game sites. If I get a chance to sink some serious time into it I will add more to the review.

Verdict

Uncharted 2 is easily my game of the year for 2009. It offers an engrossing story, amazing visuals, and heart pumping action. It gets my most enthusiastic recommendation for the casual gamer and hardcore gamer alike. Even if this is a genre that you normally don't get into at least go rent it, you will be surprised.

Presentation

Camera angles that will make you think your watching a feature film, a story that will have you wanting more, and movie style cutscenes to tell it. This game seeps high production value.

Graphics

Simply the best I have ever seen. Naughty Dog is really showing off the power of the PS3 here. Still pictures do this game no justice you must see it in action.

Sound

Top notch voice acting, all characters are wonderfully brought to life. Background sounds, weapon effects, and musical score are all top notch here as well.

Gameplay

Great gunplay for a 3rd person action game, hardcore FPS fans will have no trouble adapting. Fun puzzles that will require some thought, and lots of climbing and swinging your way around.

Replayability

Most people will just play through the game once which is well worth the price of admission. The multiplayer component offers up a whole new level of longevity, if it grabs you this could be your main game for a long time.

Final Score 9.6

I own some stuff.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Disco Batman For This Useful Post:

AxGates (01-20-2010), BUYLONGTERM (01-21-2010), GLOW (01-21-2010), House72 (01-20-2010)

HDJ Platinum Club Member War Eagle's Avatar
    Thanks

My favorite Game!!

Good Review

Thanks

Almost finished with the game and I totally agree! Except for a few things that I think killed the plot, (ie; monsters with horns), I think this is one of my favorite games in a long long time!
    R.I.P. Loves2Watch
    DISPLAYS
    Pioneer Elite Pro151FD
    Pioneer Kuro 5020FD
    Samsung LN4065F
    Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    Panasonic TC-P55GT50

CAMERA GEAR
    Canon 5D III
    35L 1.4
    70-200L 2.8 IS MK II
    100L Macro 2.8 IS
    Speedlite 580 EX II

Instagram FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM

HD, the only way to go... House72's Avatar
    Thanks

Exellent reveiw.. You added the meat(more details) that I asked you too.. Good job.. Keep up the good work..
    PSN= Foreniscs80..

Recreational Alcohol User Ntruder's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice review, you beat me to it. I've got a slightly different take on it I'll have to post up sometime
    Panasonic 65" VT60

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ntruder View Post
    Nice review, you beat me to it. I've got a slightly different take on it I'll have to post up sometime
    I'll be interested to read what you have to say about it.

I can't wait till next Tuesday I'll be knee deep in Mass Effect 2, I've through played ME1 three time and it's by far my fav game this generation. I might throw a review up since some people who haven't played it might be interested in ME2. And i consider ME1 a must play before jumping into the sequel.

I have Assasins Creed 2 sitting here still. Haven't even touched it. Too many games to play and not near enough time to tackle them all.
    I own some stuff.

HDJ Platinum Club Member War Eagle's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Batman View Post

I can't wait till next Tuesday I'll be knee deep in Mass Effect 2, I've through played ME1 three time and it's by far my fav game this generation. I might throw a review up since some people who haven't played it might be interested in ME2. And i consider ME1 a must play before jumping into the sequel.

I have Assasins Creed 2 sitting here still. Haven't even touched it. Too many games to play and not near enough time to tackle them all.
    Assassin's Creed 2 was as good as UC2 imo. Only game I finished 100%, Probably the only platinum trophy I'll ever get. LOL!!!
    After reading this review I started playin UC2 again, going to try and find all the treasures. I've got 50+ left to find.

Thanks

I have Assasins Creed 2 sitting here still. Haven't even touched it. Too many games to play and not near enough time to tackle them all.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you said that. I need you to help me enjoy Mass Effect, because I don't think I'm getting the maximum enjoyment out of the game.

How do you play Mass Effect, as in, what character class? Who do you take with you for what purposes? My first playthrough was as a soldier and it gets kinda boring. Not to mention the combat is kinda tough if you just try to shoot your way through. Any tips for character use/combat strategies to make the game more diverse and fun?

AC2 is a good one
    Panasonic 65" VT60

Thanks

Can't wait for ME 2. ME1 was a heck of a lot of fun. I do have a question for Disco, who did you get the paramour achievement with?
    Display - Den: Pioneer KRP-600M
    Display - Bedroom: Panasonic 50" S1
    AVR: Denon 4310
    Bluray: Oppo BDP-83
    Games: Xbox 360 Elite (Resident Evil Red version), PS3
    Dish Network - Den: ViP722
    Dish Network - Bedroom: ViP612
    Speakers: Klipsch Synergy III C-3,F-2 x2, S-2 x2, Athena 400w sub.
    Remote: Logitech Harmony 1100

Thanks

I'm glad you said that. I need you to help me enjoy Mass Effect, because I don't think I'm getting the maximum enjoyment out of the game.

How do you play Mass Effect, as in, what character class? Who do you take with you for what purposes? My first playthrough was as a soldier and it gets kinda boring. Not to mention the combat is kinda tough if you just try to shoot your way through. Any tips for character use/combat strategies to make the game more diverse and fun?

AC2 is a good one[/QUOTE]

I played through ME 3 times. First time through was as a Soldier and a good guy (Paragon). I agree with you on soldier, while effective it did get somewhat boring only having gun related abilities. Second time through was as an Engineer and bad guy (Renegade). Really enjoyed this play through, engineer was a ton of fun awesome abilities to fight the Geth. Third time was as an Adept, and a female character this time. Adept was also a ton of fun.

Personally I recommend the engineer, I was also able to use a shotgun since I had played through it as a soldier though, made things much better than just having a pistol.

As far as group make up, I always took oposites of what I was. So playing as an engineer, I would generally take Ashley for her soldier firepower, and Liara for her biotic powers. That way I had every ability the game had to offer in my group. I also controlled when and how my allies used their abilities instead of letting the comp do it.
    I own some stuff.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darkholme View Post
    Can't wait for ME 2. ME1 was a heck of a lot of fun. I do have a question for Disco, who did you get the paramour achievement with?
    Playing through it three times I got all three of the possible relationships, but I actually got the achievement with Ashley.
    I own some stuff.

Thanks

Three?? I thought it was just with Ashley or Liara. It's been awhile since I played it to so my memory may be foggy.
    Display - Den: Pioneer KRP-600M
    Display - Bedroom: Panasonic 50" S1
    AVR: Denon 4310
    Bluray: Oppo BDP-83
    Games: Xbox 360 Elite (Resident Evil Red version), PS3
    Dish Network - Den: ViP722
    Dish Network - Bedroom: ViP612
    Speakers: Klipsch Synergy III C-3,F-2 x2, S-2 x2, Athena 400w sub.
    Remote: Logitech Harmony 1100

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darkholme View Post
    Three?? I thought it was just with Ashley or Liara. It's been awhile since I played it to so my memory may be foggy.
    If you play as a female character Kaiden is an option along with Liara. I played my Adept as female cause the woman said she'd seen enough of me nailing video game chicks lol. You can also hook up with the consort on the citadel as well.
    I own some stuff.

Thanks

Disc,

Are those pics you've taken or are they from the Internet? Who's ever they are, they look great! Thank you for a great review
    R.I.P. Loves2Watch
    DISPLAYS
    Pioneer Elite Pro151FD
    Pioneer Kuro 5020FD
    Samsung LN4065F
    Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    Panasonic TC-P55GT50

CAMERA GEAR
    Canon 5D III
    35L 1.4
    70-200L 2.8 IS MK II
    100L Macro 2.8 IS
    Speedlite 580 EX II

Instagram FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM

Thanks

for being the administrator, you're not much of a computer guy are ya?

Right click > view image, or view image info. The pictures are from IGN

http://ve3dmedia.ign.com/images/04/2...-02_normal.jpg
    Panasonic 65" VT60

Thanks

Cool

for being the administrator, you're not much of a computer guy are ya?

Right click > view image, or view image info. The pictures are from IGN

http://ve3dmedia.ign.com/images/04/2...-02_normal.jpg
    Not all those pics are from IGN..
    PSN= Foreniscs80..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by House72 View Post

Not all those pics are from IGN..
    You're right, however my point which made fun of BLT still stands!
    Panasonic 65" VT60

Thanks

Oh yeah, not pics taken by me, I just look around the web looking for good ones, then link em in. I don't know if I'd have the patience to put the D90 on the tripod and try to catch good gameplay shots. Maybe someday I'll try it.
    I own some stuff.

Thanks

Oh yeah, not pics taken by me, I just look around the web looking for good ones, then link em in. I don't know if I'd have the patience to put the D90 on the tripod and try to catch good gameplay shots. Maybe someday I'll try it.
    That would make your reviews even better... This way, everything will be your own and orginal.
    PSN= Foreniscs80..

Thanks

You're right, however my point which made fun of BLT still stands!
    Good point you S.O.B! LOL
    R.I.P. Loves2Watch
    DISPLAYS
    Pioneer Elite Pro151FD
    Pioneer Kuro 5020FD
    Samsung LN4065F
    Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    Panasonic TC-P55GT50

CAMERA GEAR
    Canon 5D III
    35L 1.4
    70-200L 2.8 IS MK II