Thread: Disco's MLB 10 The Show Review

HDJ Platinum Club Member Disco Batman's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Disco's MLB 10 The Show Review

werthliving.com

Platform- PS3

Genre- Sports

Reviewed on PS3

I've been playing The Show on PS3 since the 2006 version. My baseball game of preference prior to that was EA Sports MVP Baseball, which died after the 2005 season due to 2K Sports signing the exclusive rights to multiplatform MLB games. Thankfully Sony had been building a great baseball experience for their own systems. Keeping the competition alive, well at least giving the consumer a better alternative to 2K's stagnant series. The Devil is in the details and Sony delivers.

(A site every Cubs fan fears)

As I said the Devil is in the details. This is extremely true in sports games. EA has been touting for years "If its in the Game, its in the Game." well...Sony is the only developer to actually pull that off. Everything you see on the field when your kicking back a cold one you will see here. A player chatting it up with the first baseman after he gets a hit. Talking to his first base coach, about the base running plan etc. Everything is here, the batter's box chalk gets messed up, players grimace in agony when caught looking on a strike three. I could go on and on about all the little nuance Sony has gotten right here. Just play it, you will see lots of goodies.

Now none of those things really matter if the gameplay isn't good. Thankfully this a spot where Sony has obviously stuck with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it", and thats a good thing. There are some small tweaks in places you will notice if your a long time fan, but nothing dramatic. Real improvements are in the AI. Pitchers will attack you in a realistic manner based on your own tendencies, and the pitch count. And opposing batters will do the same.

Road to the Show mode makes it's return with new pitcher mini games and the ability to call the game as a catcher. While initially intrigued with the ability to call a pitching game I quickly found myself bored. You don't get any feedback from the pitcher about what he want's to throw, or whether your doing a good job. So I quickly found myself back to my old standard. Two RTTS careers one as a shortstop, and one as a starting pitcher. You are given the option to either enter the draft or pick a team to start your career as. My SS entered the draft and found himself in the Tigers farm system. I placed my pitcher on the Cardinals only to get traded at the deadline my first year to the BlueJays. Bottom line here though is that RTTS mode is a blast and easily my favorite mode in any sports game available.

Online leagues are also available and we will be fielding our own HDJ league this year. Looking forward to it. Online mode in the past suffered from insufferable lag, but has reportedly been remedied this year.

Verdict

MLB 10 The Show is the pinnacle of sports video games. It is only rivaled by EA's stellar NHL series. If you are a baseball fan and own a PS3 this is a must own, and a wonderful reason to buy a PS3 if your on the fence. Play Ball!

Presentation

Absolute top notch broadcast quality on every level.

Graphics

No Uncharted 2 or Mass Effect 2, but a great looking sports game. The crowd actually looks good not just a pixelated blob! Stadiums are faithfully recreated. Wonderful animations, facial details, great looking game.

Sound

Great crowd noise, ambient sound as well. You can customize cheers and jeers for players and even your walk up music. The announcers can be very repetitive, something they need to remedy for next year.

Gameplay

Not a single thing I could find to complain about here....really.

Replayability

Between Franchise, RTTS, and online leagues you will be playing The Show straight through till MLB 11 comes out.

Final Score

(Figured I'd give Mauer some love since he's on the REAL cover)

(No one seems to get mad that this guy was JUICED up)
    I own some stuff.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Disco Batman For This Useful Post:

AxGates (03-15-2010), davidjschenk (03-19-2010), SOBAY310 (03-15-2010)

Thanks

Great review Disco! Looking forward to our season.

Thanks

Thanks for the review, Disco. Hopefully I'll get it from Gamefly before the season starts and get to play in the league with you guys! Go Cubs! :D

Thanks

Thanks for a great review!!! And oh yeah, GO CUBBIES!!!
    R.I.P. Loves2Watch
    DISPLAYS
    Pioneer Elite Pro151FD
    Pioneer Kuro 5020FD
    Samsung LN4065F
    Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    Panasonic TC-P55GT50

CAMERA GEAR
    Canon 5D III
    35L 1.4
    70-200L 2.8 IS MK II
    100L Macro 2.8 IS
    Speedlite 580 EX II

Instagram FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM

audio guy & Samsung liker JasonB's Avatar
    Thanks

any tips on how to win? i just got this yesterday. i played about 5 or 6 games already and lost all but one. it's hard.
    Samsung PN58B560 - 80gig PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50 mains - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel & ED eQ.2.

HDJ Platinum Club Member Disco Batman's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    any tips on how to win? i just got this yesterday. i played about 5 or 6 games already and lost all but one. it's hard.
    If you want an easier experience against the CPU, change your hitting difficulty to Rookie. Then use "Classic 1/4" as your guess pitch option, that will make hitting significantly easier.
    I own some stuff.

Thread Information