werthliving.com

Thread: XBOX Kinect Hardware Review

HDJ Platinum Club Member Disco Batman's Avatar
    Thanks

Default XBOX Kinect Hardware Review

werthliving.com

Kinect Hardware Review

So here it is. As those of your who follow my feelings on the game industry know, I'm no friend to motion control casual gaming. This review will focus purely on the hardware.

Once you hook up your Kinect you will have to do some set up and calibration. This isn't over cumbersome and actually goes pretty quick. It does a quick speaker test, voice recognition test, and visual calibration for character recognition. This information is saved on your hard drive and not required to do multiple times.

Pros:

Impressive facial recognition of each Kinect ID (individual profiles) you set up. The hardware will recognize who is in front of the camera and sign in your personal avatar.

Voice recognition is very accurate, you can give the machine orders such as "XBOX Play Disc"

Body tracking is also very accurate, though this varies from game to game.

Cons:

Back to the facial recognition. After setting up the Kinect ID's for Myself, the lady and the two boys it proved accurate only on adults. The system consistently signed in the wrong kid. Have done multiple set ups to fix this, but it still has a tough time deciding between the two, and it shouldn't. They are 8 and 4 years old. Not close in size or look.

Again that Piano Black, while it looks good it will need a wipe down after touching it.

Space. You need quite a bit of it. The Kinect will tilt to follow you in the room, but it's still limited. Need much more room with two or more people. Be prepared to move some furniture.

The sensor essentially doens't work if your sitting down or have a coffee table. It has a real hard time in those situations.

Verdict:

It's an impressive piece of hardware for sure. It tracks your body movements well, recognizes different people well (save the kid issue). And lets you control xbox functions without a controller.

Problem is, it doesn't work too well when your sitting down or have a coffee table. So using it to get around your 360 or browse Netflix with the future Kinect update doesn't work all that great. I still prefer the precision of a controller. And will only be using kinect to navigate when in game.

Is this right for you? Maybe, you'll get a better sense of that in my game reviews. My fear is that we've really already seen everything this thing can do with the limited amount of launch titles. I also fear it just becoming a landing zone for tons of shovelware shit games just like the Wii. Only time will tell if developers will offer us something truly worthwhile here.

I don't regret the purchase. The kids have fun with it, and it gets us a family playing more games together. Even if half of the time it's telling the kids what to do since they don't really understand the limitations of the hardware.
    The games do a good job directing you if you step out of view of the sensor though.

Anyway as far as this goes, it's a wash. It has it's highpoints and it's limitations. But with all things video game related, it's all about the software. Kinect may be selling well, but it's future will rest upon the developers to make it more than just a flash in the pan.
    I own some stuff.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Disco Batman For This Useful Post:

davidjschenk (01-17-2011), gadgtfreek (01-17-2011)

Thanks

Ty for the review. The Kinect is the sole reason I'm even considering a 360. I'm wondering if its not overkill on my part though. I have Move and a Wii is on the way.
    L2W you will be missed.

HDJ Platinum Club Member Disco Batman's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mytime View Post
    Ty for the review. The Kinect is the sole reason I'm even considering a 360. I'm wondering if its not overkill on my part though. I have Move and a Wii is on the way.
    I'd dump the Wii if I was you personally. The Kinect is a very different experience though. It's best played with people. I'm gonna try to get at least one Kinect game review up today.
    I own some stuff.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Disco Batman For This Useful Post:

mytime (01-18-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Batman View Post
    I'd dump the Wii if I was you personally. The Kinect is a very different experience though. It's best played with people. I'm gonna try to get at least one Kinect game review up today.
    Well I have a fridge in the garage doing nothing. A guy at work needs one. I told him he could have it for $100 he asked if he could trade for a wii with like 15 games and all the extra crap. I'll just stick it in my daughters room. lol
    L2W you will be missed.

Thanks

Kinect support for Windows in the works, SDK release this summer?

WinRumors, citing anonymous sources, reports that the official software developers kit (SDK) for Kinect is currently in the works and will be released in beta some time in the next few months. Apparently, support for the device will become a part of Microsoft's XNA Game Studio and also be integrated into Windows 8 in a big way.
    RIP STEVEN 12/26/2013

Thread Information