werthliving.com


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 52

Thread: Energy Take Classic and Mono price 9774 are the same!!

  1. #1
    Administrator CALIBER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Olympia Washington
    Posts
    3,533
    Thanks
    1,225
    Thanked 525 Times in 434 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Energy Take Classic and Mono price 9774 are the same!!

    werthliving.com

    Well If you are interested in the Energy Take Classic's and wanna save a few bucks, you might as well just order the Monoprice 9774's.

    A recent comparison at Cnet shows them to be identical, and from what I see I have to agree. Although it does seem as if Monoprice may be in a bit of trouble over this. None the less if you want a great 5.1 set up for $250 the 9774's might just be for you.














    Link to Cnet's article
    Magnepan, B&K, Emotiva, HSU

  2. #2
    IN MEMORY OF L2W
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    18,181
    Thanks
    7,371
    Thanked 4,820 Times in 3,787 Posts
    Rep Power
    29

    Default Re: Energy Take Classic and Mono price 9774 are the same!!

    Yea..I saw that recently...there must be something different internally that keeps if from being identical...or maybe they are just waiting until they sell a lot of them and then go in for damages $$$

  3. #3
    Super Moderator vläd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    S.W. Desert USA
    Posts
    6,406
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 943 Times in 734 Posts
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: Energy Take Classic and Mono price 9774 are the same!!

    If both Energy and Monoprice are sourcing this speaker from the same manufacturer, how can Monoprice "be in a bit of trouble"?
    ______

    "Oxymoron of the day: Reality TV"

    Avatar of the week: Justified 4th Season

  4. #4
    Administrator CALIBER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Olympia Washington
    Posts
    3,533
    Thanks
    1,225
    Thanked 525 Times in 434 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Energy Take Classic and Mono price 9774 are the same!!

    Well it doesn't sound as if Energy is too happy about the matter. It does seem to me that they have got to be made in the same factory though, as internally they are basically identical.

    FWIW I would go with the Energy's when they are on sale down around the $300 mark over the MP's. But if I were in a hurry and couldn't wait for the Energy's to go on sale, I would likely jump on the MP's for $250.
    Magnepan, B&K, Emotiva, HSU

  5. #5
    Administrator CALIBER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Olympia Washington
    Posts
    3,533
    Thanks
    1,225
    Thanked 525 Times in 434 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Energy Take Classic and Mono price 9774 are the same!!

    Quote Originally Posted by vläd View Post
    If both Energy and Monoprice are sourcing this speaker from the same manufacturer, how can Monoprice "be in a bit of trouble"?
    Not sure Vlad, I only said that because of the comment at the end of the Cnet article...
    We'll leave the official judgement up to the courts (legal and opinion), but let the facts, charts, and images speak for themselves.
    Made me think there was a potential lawsuit going on??
    Magnepan, B&K, Emotiva, HSU

  6. #6
    Super Moderator vläd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    S.W. Desert USA
    Posts
    6,406
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 943 Times in 734 Posts
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: Energy Take Classic and Mono price 9774 are the same!!

    Quote Originally Posted by CALIBER View Post
    Well it doesn't sound as if Energy is too happy about the matter. It does seem to me that they have got to be made in the same factory though, as internally they are basically identical.

    FWIW I would go with the Energy's when they are on sale down around the $300 mark over the MP's. But if I were in a hurry and couldn't wait for the Energy's to go on sale, I would likely jump on the MP's for $250.
    Well, I wouldn't be happy about it either if I happened to be the Energy CEO. But if Energy is sourcing these from a manufacturer without any exclusivity contract, it's their own fault!

    And After reading the c|net article, it sounds as if c|net is making assumptions that Energy does have some sort of design or exclusivity contract without stating that there is for sure.
    ______

    "Oxymoron of the day: Reality TV"

    Avatar of the week: Justified 4th Season

  7. #7
    Administrator CALIBER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Olympia Washington
    Posts
    3,533
    Thanks
    1,225
    Thanked 525 Times in 434 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Energy Take Classic and Mono price 9774 are the same!!

    Quote Originally Posted by vläd View Post
    Well, I wouldn't be happy about it either if I happened to be the Energy CEO. But if Energy is sourcing these from a manufacturer without any exclusivity contract, it's their own fault!
    Agreed!
    Magnepan, B&K, Emotiva, HSU

  8. #8
    IN MEMORY OF L2W
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    18,181
    Thanks
    7,371
    Thanked 4,820 Times in 3,787 Posts
    Rep Power
    29

    Default Re: Energy Take Classic and Mono price 9774 are the same!!

    Quote Originally Posted by vläd View Post
    Well, I wouldn't be happy about it either if I happened to be the Energy CEO. But if Energy is sourcing these from a manufacturer without any exclusivity contract, it's their own fault!

    And After reading the c|net article, it sounds as if c|net is making assumptions that Energy does have some sort of design or exclusivity contract without stating that there is for sure.
    I seriously doubt that Energy is sourcing everything in this speaker system...Energy is part of the Klipsch group and shouldn't have to outsource too much... at least some elements of this speaker system... you would think... would be proprietary...of course that's not always the case as Sony is famous for this...by merely having someone else make the product and they slap the Sony nameplate on it...now Monoprice is a different story...I would assume they have outsourced everything..as that isn't their core business...like Energy/Klipsch...

  9. #9
    IN MEMORY OF L2W
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    18,181
    Thanks
    7,371
    Thanked 4,820 Times in 3,787 Posts
    Rep Power
    29

    Default Re: Energy Take Classic and Mono price 9774 are the same!!

    Let me derail this thread for a moment and again sing my praises for these "small" HDMI cables...I now have 4 of them and they are SO nice..they reduce clutter and easily bend for any angles you might have..since you mentioned monoprice I couldn't help but think about them...here

  10. #10
    MODERATOR
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,256
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked 208 Times in 181 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Energy Take Classic and Mono price 9774 are the same!!

    Speaking of speaker clones... I was just e-mailed by Monoprice's newsletter which says that they now have self-powered studio monitor style speaker sets in. They looked really familiar to me, especially from the back (which is actually currently just a drawing). I realized where I'd seen them before. They look to be clones of M-Audio's Studiophile AV 30 and M-Audio BX5 D2, but of course with more basic looking front speaker grills/adornments.
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...15&cp_id=11504
    http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...studiomonitors

    A lot of people like the Studiophile AV 30/ AV 40 for use as a good budget PC stereo audiophile kind of solution.

  11. #11
    MODERATOR
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,256
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked 208 Times in 181 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Energy Take Classic and Mono price 9774 are the same!!

    Quote Originally Posted by speedking View Post
    I seriously doubt that Energy is sourcing everything in this speaker system...Energy is part of the Klipsch group and shouldn't have to outsource too much... at least some elements of this speaker system... you would think... would be proprietary...of course that's not always the case as Sony is famous for this...by merely having someone else make the product and they slap the Sony nameplate on it...now Monoprice is a different story...I would assume they have outsourced everything..as that isn't their core business...like Energy/Klipsch...
    Klipsch isn't the parent company anymore per-say. It's all owned by Audiovox now since 2011, they bought up the entire Klipsch family of brands. What's more they've basically allowed Energy's product line to sit and rot, aside from introducing a soundbar or two. The really good speakers have all dried up, the best one were Vanns exclusives and of course Vanns is in bankruptcy...

    As an Energy owner I've periodically checked in on the big owners thread over at AVS, things don't look to great for most of the Klipsch brands. They've also basically killed off mass production of Mirage brand stuff too.

    So it seems entirely possible that Energy outsourced the entire production of the Take Classic, it's one of their most affordable sets.

    There was a good write-up about Monoprice and the lawsuit by CNET here: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57...-or-a-copycat/

    Their legal team says they only do things that they know were open to being manufactured, often times companies forgot/don't worry about exclusivity contracts with their Chinese OEMs. So it would be Energy's fault. They also say that they have the Chinese OEM sign off on documents that hold them responsible for any misrepresentations or breaches of contract with their other clients, not Monoprice. Of course we may yet see if that's in any way enforceable....

    While declining to discuss specific products, Monoprice's Kumar said his company has contracts with Asian manufacturers that own the intellectual property of products made for brands that sell in the United States. Often those brands don't lock up an exclusive agreement with their Asian manufacturers. Moreover, he said, Monoprice requires its Asian suppliers to sign documents that hold them liable for any product that might infringe on the intellectual property of another company.
    Last edited by SpHeRe31459; 04-10-2013 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Added quote from article

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to SpHeRe31459 For This Useful Post:

    speedking (04-10-2013)

  13. #12
    Administrator CALIBER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Olympia Washington
    Posts
    3,533
    Thanks
    1,225
    Thanked 525 Times in 434 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Energy Take Classic and Mono price 9774 are the same!!

    Quote Originally Posted by SpHeRe31459 View Post
    Klipsch isn't the parent company anymore per-say. It's all owned by Audiovox now since 2011, they bought up the entire Klipsch family of brands. What's more they've basically allowed Energy's product line to sit and rot, aside from introducing a soundbar or two. The really good speakers have all dried up, the best one were Vanns exclusives and of course Vanns is in bankruptcy...

    As an Energy owner I've periodically checked in on the big owners thread over at AVS, things don't look to great for most of the Klipsch brands. They've also basically killed off mass production of Mirage brand stuff too.

    So it seems entirely possible that Energy outsourced the entire production of the Take Classic, it's one of their most affordable sets.

    There was a good write-up about Monoprice and the lawsuit by CNET here: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57...-or-a-copycat/

    Their legal team says they only do things that they know were open to being manufactured, often times companies forgot/don't worry about exclusivity contracts with their Chinese OEMs. So it would be Energy's fault. They also say that they have the Chinese OEM sign off on documents that hold them responsible for any misrepresentations or breaches of contract with their other clients, not Monoprice. Of course we may yet see if that's in any way enforceable....
    I could be wrong, but the take classic's were out long before Audiovox ever bought the Klipsch group.

    It is sad to see these brands sit and rot away, I surely hope they don't let this continue to happen, I love Both Energy and Mirage speakers.

    I definitely see a similarity with those powered speakers too! It would not surprise me in the least bit if they too were clones. I bought a router from monoprice, and I know it was a direct copy of another brand of router (can't recall the brand). At any rate, the firmware for the other brand of router took to my MP router just fine. I think some of their headphones are clones of skull candies too! I bought some from MP and they were truly outstanding sounding!
    Magnepan, B&K, Emotiva, HSU

  14. #13
    Super Moderator vläd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    S.W. Desert USA
    Posts
    6,406
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 943 Times in 734 Posts
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: Energy Take Classic and Mono price 9774 are the same!!

    Quote Originally Posted by SpHeRe31459 View Post
    Their legal team says they only do things that they know were open to being manufactured, often times companies forgot/don't worry about exclusivity contracts with their Chinese OEMs. So it would be Energy's fault. They also say that they have the Chinese OEM sign off on documents that hold them responsible for any misrepresentations or breaches of contract with their other clients, not Monoprice. Of course we may yet see if that's in any way enforceable....
    That's what I believe to be happening in this particular case.
    ______

    "Oxymoron of the day: Reality TV"

    Avatar of the week: Justified 4th Season

  15. #14
    Super Moderator vläd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    S.W. Desert USA
    Posts
    6,406
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 943 Times in 734 Posts
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: Energy Take Classic and Mono price 9774 are the same!!

    And IMHO, Mirage died the day they were no longer a Canadian company.

    I remember the day that I first heard the M1s, I was completely blown away! I still have a pair of the Mirage M760s that I'll probably never give up.
    ______

    "Oxymoron of the day: Reality TV"

    Avatar of the week: Justified 4th Season

  16. #15
    MODERATOR
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,256
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked 208 Times in 181 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Energy Take Classic and Mono price 9774 are the same!!

    Quote Originally Posted by CALIBER View Post
    I could be wrong, but the take classic's were out long before Audiovox ever bought the Klipsch group.
    Sure, but even if they weren't outsourced before, what if to save money the new management told them to outsource them, and then they didn't lock up the rights to the new design, there still may be a loophole there for Monoprice. Dunno though...

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to SpHeRe31459 For This Useful Post:

    CALIBER (04-10-2013)

  18. #16
    HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,683
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 482 Times in 413 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Energy Take Classic and Mono price 9774 are the same!!

    Quote Originally Posted by vläd View Post
    If both Energy and Monoprice are sourcing this speaker from the same manufacturer, how can Monoprice "be in a bit of trouble"?
    Energy designed the speaker (and used to build it in Ontario).

  19. #17
    MODERATOR
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,256
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked 208 Times in 181 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Energy Take Classic and Mono price 9774 are the same!!

    Quote Originally Posted by MDRiggs View Post
    Energy designed the speaker (and used to build it in Ontario).
    Designed yes, built we don't know for sure. Since they've always been budget speakers, they could have always been made in China. Chinese fabbed budget oriented speakers have been common for the last 10+ years.

  20. #18
    HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,683
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 482 Times in 413 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Energy Take Classic and Mono price 9774 are the same!!

    Quote Originally Posted by speedking View Post
    I seriously doubt that Energy is sourcing everything in this speaker system...Energy is part of the Klipsch group and shouldn't have to outsource too much... at least some elements of this speaker system... you would think... would be proprietary...
    Energy (then part of API, Audio Products International) designed the speaker and used to build it in Canada. It's almost certainly built in China now, though. Except for very high-end or otherwise limited-distribution speakers, almost all are assembled in China today. Polk, for example, which built a factory in Mexico and moved all production there from Baltimore years ago, eventually closed that factory and moved production across the Pacific. Companies can't stay competitive if they don't. In any event, Energy is not just buying something off the shelf from a factory somewhere. If the factory was selling the same product to another company, Energy would have good reason to be angry (unless, of course, they were in on it and getting a cut).

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to MDRiggs For This Useful Post:

    speedking (04-10-2013)

  22. #19
    MODERATOR
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,256
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked 208 Times in 181 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Energy Take Classic and Mono price 9774 are the same!!

    Quote Originally Posted by MDRiggs View Post
    If the factory was selling the same product to another company, Energy would have good reason to be angry (unless, of course, they were in on it and getting a cut).
    Angry yes, but if they didn't lock in an exclusivity agreement, then too freakin' bad, they goofed, not Monoprice, and there's no real legal recourse, but Audiovox is pissed so they're trying to sue anyway. But this is all speculation, for all we know the Chinese OEM saw an unethical opportunity and went for it figuring they're all the way in China and they'd get away with it.

  23. #20
    HDJ Platinum Club Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,683
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 482 Times in 413 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Energy Take Classic and Mono price 9774 are the same!!


    I think that happens a lot, unfortunately, as some of the factories have been desperate for business. I would be amazed if there were no exclusivity agreement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •